Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Deja Vu - Pt.3

(This part of the story is told by Ning)

After I had seen Head Nun and Da off, I went back into the hut to find Lao Lo still sitting at the table staring at his soup bowl.


"Are you alright, Lao Lo?"  I asked.  He looked up startled, then got up and went to sit by the window.  I was of course curious about him and Head Nun.  I said almost accusingly, "Lao Lo, you never told us you knew Head Nun!"

Lao Lo sighed.  "That was a long, long time ago, my friend.  I don't think I have told you that I originally came from China.  I was a poor farmer's son and Ching Lan - her family lived not too far from us.  We grew up together - she was always quiet, very proper, never did anything wrong.  She wore her hair in plaits and I used to tease her by pulling them!"

Here Lao Lo paused, a smile on his lips.  "She had always been pious," he continued. "She kept asking her father to take her to the temple to pray.  We became engaged, then came the big blow - she decided to become a nun and left China to come here.  I was heart broken and a couple of years after she left, I too decided to leave China.. I followed some friends to Singapore, then finally settled here.   You know the rest - I managed to eke a living by working in a carpenter's shop, fell in love again, she died, and it was wandering in the forest after that."

"I'm sorry, Lao Lo.  You don't seem to be very lucky in love." I said.

Lao Lo nodded.  "If I hadn't been sick, Ching Lan and I might never have met up again,"  he said.

"You're going to be alright, Lao Lo," I said.  "I can see that the herbal soup has done you good."

Lao Lo smiled.  "Yes, I feel much better already!"

Lao Lo recovered within a week and was soon going about doing his usual chores.  One evening, we decided to climb up a small hill nearby to watch the sunset.  As we sat there, Lao Lo turned to me and said, "Ning, do you think I should go to the temple and thank Ching ...I mean, your Head Nun personally?"

I thought for a while.  "Maybe not," I said gently.  I knew he was still thinking of his young days in China with her.  "Lao Lo, she has chosen to be a nun, the sight of you would only distract and upset her.  Just let her go."  Heck, I'm no expert in giving advice, but I hoped I had said the right thing.

Lao Lo  nodded.  "You're right, my friend."  He turned away and gazed at the setting sun.  Then, as though charged by the sun's golden rays, he exclaimed, "I know!  I think I shall return to China.  I still have some of my old friend's money left.  Yes, I shall return to China!"

Lao Lo left for China a week later.  I had promised to take care of his home during his absence and one day, I was surprised to see a friend of his knocking at the door.

"You must be Ning," he said.  "My name is Ah Ho - I have a message for you from Lao Lo.  He has decided to stay on in China for a little while longer.  He said to tell you that should anything happen to him there, this hut and all his possessions are yours to do as you please."

It took a long time for me to fall asleep that night.  I thought of my good friend - I thought of his kindness, his generosity and the good times we had - and it saddened me to think that I might never get to see him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment