Sunday, May 25, 2014

Deja Vu - Pt.2

On arrival at the temple, Head Nun immediately went for prayers and I didn't see her until late in the evening, just before dinner.  All the nuns noticed she was strangely quiet at dinner but wisely refrained from asking what was troubling her.  She retired to bed earlier than usual and as soon as she went into her room, the nuns, not being able to control themselves any longer, burst out: "What's wrong with Head Nun?"  "Is she ill?"  "Vege Cat, you should know, what happened when you went to the river?"

I knew the nuns would attack me with questions but I felt I should keep my mouth shut.  "She's had a tiring day and it was rather cold by the river ...."  I made up all sorts of excuses.  Finally, when they saw I was not going to tell them anything, they too left for bed.

I curled up in my basket but curiosity wouldn't let me sleep.  What happened between Head Nun and Lao Lo?  Then I heard a door open and Head Nun came out.  She sat down on a chair next to my basket, looked at me and said, "Well, Vege Cat, I know you're dying to find out what it was all about at the river this morning.  I know I can trust you to keep confidential what I am about to tell you ...."

I sat up.  "Er .. you don't have to tell me, if you don't want to, Head Nun," I said, hating myself for being untruthful.  I was dying to find out what it was all about ...!.

Head Nun looked into the darkness, a wistful look in her eyes.  (I could tell it was a wistful look, we cats can see very well at night).

"Remember sometime ago I told you about my childhood days in China and how I became a nun?"

"Yes, I remember, Head Nun,"  I replied.

"And do you remember I told you I was engaged to someone but broke our engagement when I decided to become a nun?"

I was beginning to see the light.

"Head Nun!"  I cried excitedly.  "You mean to say ... you mean to say that that guy was Lao Lo?"

Head Nun nodded.  "Yes, it was.  But I never knew he came to this country.  I left China before him, it was only some time later that I heard that he too had left China and migrated somewhere."

"But he never told us he came from China.  All the time we thought he's local."  I replied.

"Fate has mischievously, and cruelly, if I may add, thrown Lao Lo and I together again, perhaps as a test for me. BUT," continued Head Nun firmly and I could see the fire in her eyes.  "I have no regrets becoming a nun.    There is no other path for me, you understand? I have gone to the Buddha for refuge ... Buddham Saranam Gacchami, Dhammam Saranam Gaccami, Sangham Saranam Gacchami ... and I shall never stray."


A little while earlier, I did have romantic notions in my head about Head Nun and Lao Lo reuniting but after what she had said, I realised how stupid I was to have such a foolish thought.  Head Nun got up, said "Goodnight" and went back to her room.

The next morning, Head Nun was up earlier than usual.  Our morning prayers usually start at 5.00 a.m. but at 4.30 a.m. she woke up all the nuns and shooed them into the prayer hall.  As they stood before her with half closed eyes (I myself included), Head Nun rapped a nearby table and thundered:

"From today onwards, our morning prayers shall start at 4.30 a.m. and shall be extended by half an hour.  I expect all of you to chant loud and clear instead of mumbling in your throats like what you have been doing in the past!  Is that understood?"

That was the most boisterous and vociferous prayer session that we had in months.

(To be continued)





No comments:

Post a Comment