Tuesday, June 10, 2014

To Save a Swan - Pt.1

It was a quiet night.  The beams from a pale silvery moon shone through the window and a cool breeze was blowing.

As I was sleeping or thought I was sleeping, I suddenly saw a white swan with an orange ribbon round its neck flying towards me.  As I watched spellbound, it stopped in front of me and spoke.

"Da, I am Nan from East of the Moon, where you went some time ago.  You won't remember anything about your experience there, so I shall now bring back all your memories."

I felt a light touch on my forehead, then everything seemed to fall in place.  East of the Moon, the planet that's half Spring and half Winter!  Of course I remember flying there on a swan.  What was her name ... Gervira!  And Malki, the black swan whom I brought back from Winter.

"Good, you remember now, Da.  I have come to ask for your help again."

"Why? What's happened?"  I asked.

"It's Gervira.  She's very sick, she won't eat or drink and she can't sleep at night.  We have tried all kinds of remedy but to no avail.  Malki is beside himself with worry, not knowing what to do.  I suddenly remembered you, will you help us?"

"I'm sorry to hear about Gervira but much as I would like to help you, I know nothing about remedies for swans ...." I said.

"I know but your Head Nun is an expert in herbal medicine.  Perhaps she has something for Gervira."

"Well, yes, but she can't go to East of the Moon, she's too old for the journey!"  I replied.

"She won't have to go.  I shall take Gervira to Earth and Head Nun can treat her here.  Please, you're our only hope!" pleaded Nan.

"Well, I'll have to ask Head Nun first, I don't know whether she has a cure," I said doubtfully..

"I understand but we shall have to take our chances. I shall fly Gervira out here immediately. We shall wait by the river where you always go," said Nan.

With that, she vanished.  It was the middle of the night and I couldn't very well wake up Head Nun and tell her a swan is sick, so the next morning, as soon as she got up, I asked her about a remedy.  The thing I like about Head Nun is that she doesn't ask questions, she just answered me straightaway.

"Well, there is a herb that might do the trick but I can't promise you anything," she said.  "Now where is that sick swan?"

We immediately left for the river and found Nan already there with Gervira, whom she had put on a bench. .  Head Nun stroked Gervira's head gently and said, "I really don't know whether I can help her.  But I shall boil this herb and if after three doses she still has not recovered, then I'm sorry, there's nothing more I can do." 

I brought back the herbal soup after Head Nun had prepared it and Nan gave it to Gervira to drink.  At first she protested and refused to take it but after much persuasion from Nan, finally swallowed it.  Head Nun said four hours should lapse after each dose, so we gave her another one in the afternoon and later at night.

"Don't worry, she'll be alright," I told Nan, who was still worried stiff.  "I'll be back tomorrow morning to check on things."

The next morning I hurried back to the river.  "How is she?"  I asked.  Nan shook her head sadly and said there was no improvement.  "She's still very ill," said Nan, tears trickling down her cheek.

I took a look at Gervira.  She did look very ill - her eyes were blood shot, her breathing was irregular and her red beak was beginning to turn blue.  I sat down and prayed to Lord Buddha for help.  It was the only thing I could think of for now.  A gentle breeze was blowing and I watched the swaying leaves of the trees as I prayed.  Then, suddenly, it came to me!  I jumped up and cried: "Of course!  The Forest Queen!  Why didn't I think of it before?"

Telling Nan to stay put, I ran all the way to the grotto where The Forest Queen's statue still stands.  "Your Majesty!  Your Majesty!"  I panted.  "I need your help!"  I called her a few times and waited for a response. I didn't expect her to appear immediately of course -  I remember she told me that after her death, she would become "one with the wind".  What that meant I really didn't know but I hoped she was still somewhere in the forest.  I called again several times  ... only silence.  Disappointed, I returned to the river with a heavy heart.


"Have you found someone to help?" asked Nan anxiously.

I shook my head and sighed.  I didn't know what to tell her ... there may be no hope for Gervira.

 (To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment