Saturday, March 1, 2014

East of the Moon - Pt.3

Gervirah was waiting quietly for us at the lake.  As soon as we landed, I opened my mouth to explain what had happened but before I could say anything, I saw with a shock that Malki had plunged into the lake and was swimming towards Gervirah.

"Oh, my God, he's going to kill her," I shrieked.  "Do something!"  I yelled to the other swans who were sitting by the lake.  But they sat as though mesmerized and just watched.

I saw Malki swim up to Gervirah and for a minute or two, they looked at each other.  It was as though the whole world had stood still.  Then, to my surprise, Malki put out his black wings and caught Gervirah in a close embrace. I saw tears roll down Gervirah's cheeks.  He whispered something in her ear ... more tears.  They sat there in each other's arms, oblivious to everything around them.  The swans sitting around the lake began to clap and cheer. 

"What is going on?"  I asked, exasperated.  A swan with an orange ribbon round her neck turned to me and said, "I'm Nan, Gervirah's old nanny.  Congratulations!  You have just reunited two lovers after a long separation!"

"What?"  I gasped.  "But ... but I thought he's someone evil and the harp ... what about the harp?"

"Let me explain.  Many moons ago, Malki and Gervirah had a lover's quarrel.  In his anger, he left Spring in a huff, taking along with him the harp just to spite her.  It doesn't have any magical powers except that it can play by itself...."

"But she said if I don't get it back, everything here will be destroyed ..."  I interrupted.

Nan laughed.  "That was just a ploy to get you to Winter. After he left, she was heart broken.  She pined for him day and night but none of us could help her as it is too cold for us in Winter and we will surely die if we go there. When your friend Mei accidentally landed here and told her about your thirst for adventure, Gervirah got this idea to bring you to Winter and get news of Malki for her. We never expected him to follow you back, I guess he must have missed her a lot too! That's just about the whole story.  I must say she had you fooled!"

"You can say that again," I exclaimed.  A lover's quarrel and I had to play "cupid"  - unknowingly!

I watched as the two lovers swam slowly into the sunset.  What a romantic ending!  Suddenly, I realised that I had to get back to Earth.  I turned to Nan and before I could say what was on my mind, she said gently, "Gervirah has given me instructions to take you back home.  She expresses her most heartfelt thanks to you and says that she will never forget what you have done for her.  Now shall we go?  Oh, by the way, when you get back, you won't remember anything that has happened here in Spring ..."

I woke up with a start.  I had been dreaming again, something about a black swan and a white swan and lots of snow.  Brrrr, I could almost feel the stinging cold!  I drew my blanket over my head and went back to sleep. Now why couldn't I have dreamt of a beautiful female cat instead?


What a romantic ending!


No comments:

Post a Comment