Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Shelter News - The Ghost of the Cat Shelter


Hi everyone, Milo here.  Da has very kindly given me some space in his blog to write about happenings in the cat shelter, so here's my first story.

A couple of days ago, an injured cat was brought to the shelter after having been run over by a hit-and-run driver.  His leg was broken and after he had been treated at the animal hospital, they brought him to the shelter where he could rest and recover.

He was an old dark grey tomcat by the name of Leo and the grumpiest we had ever come across.  The moment he arrived at the shelter, he started complaining just about everything - the food, the place, etc., etc. The other cats tried to be friendly but he growled at them, even scolded them for no apparent reason. We had never seen anyone so arrogant and disagreeable. Even the human supervisor, a young chap named Peter, was quite cheesed off. (Incidentally, the shelter was opened by his uncle, a cat lover, so you can say Peter is the boss.)  

Anyway after a few days, the other cats couldn't tolerate Leo any more.  One of the cats, a feline called Ming, approached me and asked, "Milo, we've had enough of that  old grouch.  We want to teach him a lesson, can you help us?"

Frankly, I was also fed up of his nagging, so I said, "What do you have in mind?"

"We want you to dress up as a ghost and give him the fright of his nine lives!"

I grinned and said, "That's one of my favorite acts, just tell me when!"

So it was fixed for that very night.  I stay nights at the shelter off and on to help out Peter, so the timing was perfect.  Ming had found an old white table cloth and after cutting out holes for the eyes, nose and mouth, it fitted me nicely. 

So at the stroke of midnight, I crept into the room where Leo was sleeping.  I tiptoed over to him and cried, "Booooo!" But he didn't hear.  So I tried again, this time louder. "BOOOOO!"

He woke up with a start, saw me and screamed, "Who the hell are you?  Get away from me!"

"I am the Ghost of the Cat Shelter and I punish those who are nasty and unkind to my cats," I wailed, making my voice sound as eerie as possible.

Then I yelled, "ACTION, guys!" and before Leo could even blink, the cats came out of hiding and pelted him with dozens of eggs!  He screamed and tried to hide but with an injured leg, he couldn't get far.  Very soon, he was a soggy mess of egg yolks and egg whites!  Then the cats poured a pail of cold water on him and watched gleefully as he squirmed.  The old cat didn't stand a chance!

We left him shivering in the dark and kept our fingers crossed that Peter had not heard the noise we made.

Early the next morning, Ming came running to me.  She and a few cats had got up early to clean up the mess of the night before and said that she had seen Leo being taken away in a cage.  "I wonder what happened," she said.  I told her I would find out from Peter.

I found him in the kitchen preparing breakfast for the cats.

"Peter, someone saw Leo being taken away.  What happened?"

Peter smiled and said, "Oh, he demanded to be taken back to the animal hospital.  Said he was attacked by some ghosts last night. He was very angry and accused me of not telling him that the shelter is haunted!   I've been working here for more than a year and I've never heard of anyone telling me about ghosts haunting this place."

Then he opened the fridge and said,  "Strange, how come all the eggs are missing from the fridge?  First ghosts, then missing eggs? Milo, do you know what all this is about?"

He looked at me quizzically, then before I could answer, he shook his head and said, "Oh, nevermind, I don't want to know!" and he went out of the kitchen to get more eggs from the store.  I heaved a sigh of relief, I guess he knew we had something to do with what happened last night but was closing an eye!

 Peter is a nice guy and I get the feeling he was relieved to get Leo off his hands - and hopefully, I won't get sacked for being "a partner in crime"! 

I'm getting hungry, wonder whether Ming would like me to have breakfast with her ..... she's pretty cute!

That's the end of my story, folks.  Will catch up with you with more news soon!

Lots of love,

Milo





No comments:

Post a Comment