Sunday, December 20, 2015

A Christmas Story

Ning and I were discussing what we planned to do this Christmas.  

"Another holiday by the beach?" he suggested.  Somehow I wasn't too keen on the idea especially with the present hot weather.

"Let's do something different," I said.  Then an idea struck me.

"Ning, remember that family of old people and children who stayed at Lao Lo's place about a month ago?  Well, why don't we visit them in their new home in the village and bring them some Christmas presents?"

Ning thought for a while, then said, "Just like you to be Santa Claus.  Alright, we'll go visit them."

We told Head Nun and she too agreed it was a good idea.  She asked one of the nuns to pack a large box of dry rations, not forgetting sweets and chocolate for the children.  We decided to make the trip a few days before Christmas and on the morning of our departure, the nuns waved us off, shouting things like "Don't get lost", "Send our regards to them" and so on.

It was a long walk to the village and even though we set off early, we didn't reach it until after lunch.  We were tired and hungry and the box of rations was getting heavier.  We stopped by the roadside to eat the bread Head Nun had given us.  After a while a couple came along and we asked them where we could find the family we were looking for.  They shrugged and said they had no idea whom we were referring to.  We tried the market next, then a sundry shop and a few houses but to our surprise, no one had seen or heard of our friends.  

"Maybe they moved on instead of stopping here," said Ning.  It was a possibility and we had no choice but to go home since there was nothing else we could do. 

"I think we had better stay the night at Lao Lo's place," suggested Ning.  "We won't be able to reach the temple by nightfall."  

Lao Lo was of course only too delighted to have us and set about preparing a hot meal.  He said we could stay for as long as we liked but we declined since we knew Head Nun would be worried.  We went to bed tired out.

During the night, something woke me up.  I thought I was dreaming but there was no mistaking the sound of soft singing and heavenly music outside the window.  I jumped to my feet and peeped out. My heart missed a beat at the glorious sight before my eyes.  There, standing in front of Lao Lo's hut, was a bevy of beautiful men, women and children dressed in shimmering white robes - and they all had shining white wings on their backs!

"Oh my God," I gasped.  "Angels ... I'm seeing angels!"

I quickly woke up Lao Lo and Ning and together we ran outside. We stood there stunned by the dazzling sight before us.

Then one of the angels spoke and we recognised him as the old man, the leader of the group who had stayed at Lao Lo's hut.  As we looked, we also recognised the elderly ladies and the children of the group, all of whom were smiling radiantly at us.

"Greetings, my dear friends!" said the angel.

I gasped.  "I don't believe it!  Aern't you the group of people we met on the road some time ago...?. You mean  ... you mean all of you are actually angels?"

The old angel smiled.  "Yes, we're angels!  We understand you have been looking for us?"

"Well, we wanted to give you a box of provisions but we couldn't find you anywhere." I said.  "But I don't suppose you need it being angels ..."

The old angel smiled.  "My friends, thank you for your kind thought.  I'm sorry you had such a hard time trying to find us.  We seldom stay put in one place but move about bringing good tidings to all.  Sometimes we take the form of human beings to help people.  Sometimes we put them to the test.  We shall never forget the kindness and generosity you and your friends showered on us when you picked us up from the roadside that evening.You gave us food and shelter when we were cold and hungry - it was a test which you passed with flying colours. Now in return for all you have done for us, we shall grant you each a wish, beginning with you, old man."

Lao Lo shook his head.  "I do not need anything.  I am happy as I am."

"What about you?" asked the old angel, looking at me.

Well, I suppose I could have asked for something or other, but somehow that "something or other" didn't seem to matter any more at that moment.  I shook my head and said I didn't want anything either.

Then the old angel looked at Ning.  "What about you?"

Ning hesitated but before he could say anything, the old angel laughed and said, "I know!  You want some champagne!" and with a flick of his hand, out came a big bottle of sparkling champagne.  Ning whooped with joy!

"We have to go now," said the angel.  "But remember we shall always be with you protecting you wherever you go. If you ever need our help, just think of us and we shall be there.  Merry Christmas!"  Then as suddenly as they had appeared, all the angels swiftly melted into the night and could no longer be seen.

The three of us stood there for several minutes, unable to speak.

Ning was looking thoughtfully at the bottle of champagne in his hands.  "You know what?" he said.  "It doesn't seem right for me to enjoy this all by myself.  I shall take it to the senior citizens' home in the village tomorrow and give it to them."

"Great idea, Ning," I quipped.

We looked up at the sky hoping to see our angel friends but all we could see were the stars twinkling down at us.  Lao Lo held out his arms and hugged both of us, his eyes moist with tears.

"You know something?" he whispered.  "The three of us are truly blessed."

We sat up far into the night, watching the beautiful moon cast its soft silvery beams all around us.  I began to wonder what it was like to be an angel.  Must be lots of fun being able to fly here and there and do all kinds of magical things.  And best of all, being able to spread joy and happiness wherever I go.

Merry Christmas everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment