Monday, December 26, 2011

Dear Santa ...

There is this big, jolly old man with a long white beard who rides across the skies in a sleigh drawn by reindeers every Christmas. The humans call him “Santa Claus” and I am told by the nuns that he loves children and grants them their every wish during this time of year.

“But what about us cats? Doesn’t he love cats?” I asked. The nuns laughed and said they had so far never heard of Santa giving cats a gift for Christmas. That was rather disappointing news. If Santa has such a big heart, why has he forgotten us cats?

The nuns could not give me an answer but they said I could try to write to him and let him know what I wanted and see what happens.

A cat bound for Nirvana is not supposed to have bundles of desires, I remember Head Nun telling me some time ago, so after some thought and 101 wishes, I decided to narrow them down to only two. Head Nun nodded approvingly when she looked at my letter and offered to post it for me.

As for my wishes - to begin with, how about a retreat for cats, Santa? I mean rolling green pastures with rainbows, bubbling brooks, beautiful trees and flowers, a river of milk and butterflies to play with. A place where we cats can roam freely, meditate and rest without fear of being hounded by dogs or non-cat lovers.

Secondly and lastly, a little wish for myself – a warm, fluffy blanket for cold, rainy days.

Head Nun put my letter into an envelope and smiled, a twinkle in her eyes. “Keep your fingers crossed, Vege Cat. I‘m going to post your letter right away.”

I could hardly sleep that night – Christmas Eve. I had visions of myself frolicking among beautiful flowers with my friends and sleeping blissfully under spreading trees, my new fluffy blanket around me.

When I woke up on Xmas morn, it was already 9 a.m. I had overslept but it was Christmas, and also the first day of the 12th month of the Chinese lunar calendar, and Head Nun had prepared a sumptuous breakfast for us cats.

“Good morning, Vege Cat!” smiled Head Nun. “Guess what? There’s a parcel for you.” She handed over to me a small packet wrapped in red and gold wrapping paper. I gasped. A present from Santa? Head Nun unwrapped the parcel for me and out tumbled a soft, blue, fluffy blanket just big enough for me.

“He received my letter!” I yelled.

“Yes,” said Head Nun.

“But what about my cat retreat?” I asked, looking around me, expecting the whole temple to have been transformed into my cat dreamland.

“Santa has millions of requests from children all over the world, and he cannot always fulfil each and every wish. I’m sure he has not forgotten your request. Be patient until next Christmas …” said Head Nun. Somehow I had the feeling that Head Nun knew more than she revealed but I could see she wasn’t going to tell me anything more.

Well, I can’t say I was not disappointed but as they say, a loaf of bread is better than none. Thanks, Santa, wherever you are. I’ll see you next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment