Sunday, May 11, 2014

Going Home - Pt.2

We talked far into the night.  Actually Mum was the one doing all the talking as she recalled incidents in her life when I was small.

"You know, Da, you were always so quiet.  While your brothers fooled around, you sat in one corner deep in thought and a far away look on your face.  It was that disastrous outing that took you away from us - your Pa decided to take us on a walk around the nearby gardens - and somehow you got separated from us.  We searched high and low for you but without success.  I remember I cried myself to sleep that night.  We all missed you terribly especially your childhood sweetheart, poor thing.  Anyway, I'm happy the temple found you. Your Cousin Li must have told you about your brothers - they left home some time ago, I didn't want to stand in their way - they wanted their freedom, so I gave it to them."

I wanted to find out what happened to Pa but was afraid to broach the subject.  Finally I plucked up courage.

"Mum, what - what happened to Pa?  Where did he go?"

I saw Mum's face harden and she looked away.  When she spoke, her voice was laced with bitterness.

"Well, if you must know, this ... this slinky looking female wandered in one day.  Your Pa took a look at her and fell for her.  They went off together a few months ago  ... shame on that old cat!  She was half his age!  I don't want to talk about it any more.  Go to sleep now....!"

It took some time for me to fall asleep.  Pa had eloped with another "woman"!  Somehow I had never imagined that he was capable of that.  As far as I could remember, he loved Mum very much.

When morning came, Mum led me into the house and introduced me to the kind old lady who had taken her in.  She was a stalwart looking woman with a cheerful, cherubic face and everybody in the neighbourhood called her "Mommy" because she was like a mum to everyone.

"My, my, that's a fine looking son you've got," she said to Mum.  She then served us a huge breakfast, most of which I couldn't finish.  "Your Mum's looking more cheerful now that you're here," she said looking at me.  "You should stay on for a few more days, make her happy!"

I did decide to stay on but found that I missed Head Nun and all in the temple.  I was homesick and Mum knew it.

"Time you went home, Da," said Mum.  "There's nothing to do here, you must be pretty bored."

"Well, I .. I don't know ...." I said, torn between Mum and my home.  Then suddenly an idea struck me.  I said excitedly to Mum: "Mum, why don't you follow me back to the temple and stay for a few days?  Wesak* is just around the corner, there will be a grand celebration at the temple, it will be a good change for you!"  (*Wesak commemorates the birth, enlightenment and passing away of the Buddha)

Mum hesitated.  "It's a long journey to the temple," she said.  Mommy, who had overheard our conversation, chimed in, "Not to worry, I can get a friend to drive you to the temple.  I think Da has a good idea there."

After a quick call to Head Nun to inform her of our return, we set off and arrived at the temple in the late morning.  Head Nun was there to greet us.  "You are welcome to stay for as long as you like," she said warmly to Mum.  She then led us to an empty room which she had prepared for us to sleep in.  Just like Head Nun to be so kind and caring!

The next few days were a busy one for me.  I showed Mum round the temple, did my usual chores and attended prayers.  Mum soon got into the swing of things though she very politely absented herself from our prayers; she said it was no use attending them when she could not understand what was going on!

Soon Wesak Day came around.  The nuns were as usual very busy and many devotees came to the temple to pay homage to Lord Buddha.  As for me, I prayed inside my heart for a miracle ...



Towards the mid afternoon, the crowd had thinned out.  Suddenly, as Mum and I were sitting on the porch, there was a commotion at the gate. One of the nuns came running and said that there was a big cat outside who insisted on seeing me.  They had not allowed him to come in as he could be trouble  I ran quickly to the gate and saw to my shock, that it was Pa!  Even after all these years, I could still recognise him.  I told the nuns to let him in but before taking him to see Mum, I drew him aside.

"Pa, what are you doing here?  Mum's here and I don't want you to upset her."  I said.

"I know she's here, that's why I'm here," Pa said impatiently.

"But ... but ..."

"I know what you're going to say," interrupted Pa.  "It's all over. I made a bad mistake and I'm here to ask  her to forgive me and take me back...."

I turned to look at Mum anxiously.  She appeared not to have seen Pa yet.

"I don't know, Pa.  You hurt her very badly, she might never forgive you."

"Let me try," said Pa earnestly.

"Alright, but don't expect too much," I said.

We both walked up to Mum.  I could see first the surprise on her face, then the anger.  She got up and started walking quickly into the temple.

"Wait!  I'm here to say I'm sorry ...." said Pa, running after her.  He caught up with her - and the rest I didn't see.  One of the nuns called me inside the temple for prayers and I had to go.  But I couldn't concentrate thinking what was happening between Mum and Pa.  As soon as the prayers were over, I rushed outside in search of them but I couldn't find them anywhere.

I asked one of the devotees whether she had seen them.

"Oh, you mean those two lovers?  They were hugging and kissing each other right in front of me before they walked out of the temple hand in hand.  Do you know them?" she said.

I broke into a big smile, my heart suddenly becoming as light as a feather.

"Yes, yes, I know them.  It's a long story, I'll tell you sometime," I said.  I ran to the prayer hall and knelt down before Lord Buddha.

"Thank you, dear Lord, for answering my prayer," I whispered.  Oh, it was such a wonderful ending to a wonderful Wesak Day.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment