Monday, April 7, 2014

Ning Disappears - Pt.2

(Pt.2 of the story is told by Ning himself)

I walked slowly down the path leading to the village market. I turned to look back at Da - he was still still sitting there, watching me with a worried expression on his face.  Sometimes I think he worries too much, what does he take me for?  I'm a grown cat, much older than he!  And I wish he weren't so "holy" - all that meditation and chanting in the temple are enough to drive me crazy!

I soon reached the market.  Some of the stalls were still open with people busy buying and selling.  Gosh, I didn't realise how hungry I was until I saw the bread stall - mmmm, could do with a nice slice of buttered bread!  Then I heard a commotion.  It was coming a few stalls down.  Curious, I ran in that direction - I saw to my horror that some children were beating an old dog with sticks and throwing stones at it  The dog, probably very hungry, tried to avoid the blows but could not as it was limping badly.  Well, I abhor cruelty to animals, be they cats or dogs, whatever.  I ran forward and snarled and hissed at the children.  They laughed at me, threw some stones in my direction which narrowly missed me, then ran away.

"Are you alright," I asked the dog.  He looked at me, a tear rolling down his cheek.  "I'm okay, thank you, cat," he replied.  He tried to get up but collapsed.

"Look, I'll get you something to eat," I said.  I looked round - no one with a kind face. Then a young girl suddenly appeared, a paper bag in her hand.

"Here, take this," she said.  "There are enough crumbs for both of you."  Before I could thank her, she had slipped away.

I gave some crumbs to the old dog and also fed him with a little water.  I couldn't help thinking that Da would nod his head in approval if he saw me do all this!  The dog then said his name was "Bones". He looked like he hadn't eaten for days, his ribs were sticking out of his body! Well, I felt the market was not a good place for him to hang out, so I offered to take him back to the river which was really not far off.  I remembered seeing an old hut on the way, he could take shelter there.

It was with considerable effort that we finally arrived at the hut.  Bones slumped into a corner, tired out and breathing heavily.  "Take some rest," I said and curled up in front of the door, just in case the children came back.

When he had recovered, Bones called me and said, "Thank you so much for what you have done for me.  I'm very sick and I know it won't be long before I die. You see, I once belonged to a kind old man and lived with him in his shack.  I was heart broken when he died.  I had no place to go after that, so I often went to the market searching for food.  The people in the village are not too friendly and they don't seem to like dogs.  I was often beaten and scolded.

Before my master died, he told me that he had hidden some gold under a tree in the forest and asked me to give this gold to his old friend, someone called "Lao Lo" (old man).  I know where that tree is and as soon as I feel better, I will show it to you.  I must carry out my promise to my dear master before I die. You can seek proof of Lao Lo's identity by asking him his real name, which is Ah Kum. I know I can trust you. Promise you will help me."

I was astounded.  A fortune in gold under a tree!  Before I could stop myself, all kinds of thoughts ran through my head - who cares about an old dog's promise, I'm gonna be rich, I shall be able to do all the things I've always wanted, travelling, drinking champagne ....

Bones gave a mournful sigh.  I sat up with a start - I looked at him, at his pitiful eyes and body.  No, I couldn't do it, I couldn't betray the trust that this old bag of bones had in me.

I took a deep breath and said, "I promise, Bones."

We arrived at the tree the next morning.  Bones told me to dig under it and sure enough, there was a small bag of gold, all gleaming and shining in the sun.  Bones lay down and went to sleep.  I let him rest for a while, but when he did not get up after some time, I shook him gently.  "Wake up, Bones, it's time to go home." I said.  He did not wake up.  He was dead.  I sat there for a while and was surprised when a tear trickled down my cheek.  Da had often said I had a soft heart hidden under a tough exterior - I had just found out he was right.  If he had been there, Da would have said some kind of prayer, but I didn't know any, so I gruffly said, "Rest in peace, Bones.", my eyes still wet.
 
Just then I heard the sound of someone coming through the forest.  I quickly hid the bag of gold under some bushes.  It was an old man and I recognised him immediately - he was the one who was at the river when the young woman's baby fell into the water.

"Hello," he said, looking at Bones.  "Say, isn't that Bones? What happened?"

I said cautiously that we were talking a walk in the forest when he collapsed.  The old man shook his head sadly and agreed to help me bury him. After we had finished, I asked him his name.  He said, "My name is Ah Kum but most people call me "Lao Lo".

I kept my promise to Bones.

(To be continued)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment