Sunday, August 12, 2012

Confrontation by the River - Pt.1


Yours truly and Cousin Li
I had a nice surprise the other day when Cousin Li suddenly appeared at the temple after an absence of more than six months.  (He had married the former star of The Long Tails Club, Mei Ling and moved to the country).

“How are you, old boy?” he asked me, grinning broadly.

“Fine, Cousin Li.  And how many kids do you have now?”  I asked.

He grinned again.  “Two – a girl and a boy.  They’re terrific.”

“Why didn’t you bring them here with you?  I would have loved to see them.”

“Well, Mei Ling has gone home to see her mother and I’ve left the kids with a babysitter.”

“A babysitter!  You must be doing well!”

“Well, actually, I found her in the river near where we live.  She must have fallen in and I rescued her from drowning.  So in gratitude she offered to look after the kids f.o.c. while their mother is away.”

At that point, Ning sauntered in and exchanged greetings with Cousin Li, who updated him on what had been happening.

“So, Ning, how come you’re still a bachelor?  There’re lots of pretty young things out there waiting for you!  Say, why don’t I introduce you to my babysitter?  She’s very pretty – all white and snowy.”

“Well, it’s not a bad life being a bachelor," drawled Ning.  "All white, did you say?  I have a soft spot for white females, you know.  How did you meet her?”

Ning told him about fishing her out of the water.  “Her name’s Bella.”

Ning and I looked at each other.  Bella – all white – fished out of the river …something seemed to click and we both yelled together: “Lady Arabella!”

“Cousin Li, we could be wrong but your kids could be in great danger,” I cried, my heart thumping wildly.

Cousin Li looked puzzled and both Ning and I poured out our story about The Black Rose and her deadly cousin, Lady Arabella II.

“Well, I don’t know, she seems a nice sort, very caring and she loves the kids.” said Cousin Li.

“You’ve got to take us back with you right now.  I pray to the Lord Buddha that we’re wrong but if we’re not ….”

The three of us ran immediately to Cousin Li’s place by the river and in our haste, I forgot to bring my golden star with me ...


(To be continued)


No comments:

Post a Comment