I received a message one morning that TL wanted to speak to me. When I arrived at the coop, I found him in his usual corner, a peculiar look on his face.
"Is everything alright, TL?" I asked.
He beckoned me to come closer, then said in a low voice, "Don't tell anyone. I can't open my fan (tail). It's jammed."
"Huh?"
"You heard me, my fan is jammed. I've tried several times to open it but it refused to budge. Look, is there a vet here that can fix it?"
I must say I was rather taken aback by what he said. I had never come across such a situation before!
"Well, we have a vet here but as far as I know, they only treat cats and dogs, not turkeys." I told him.
"Oh no, how am I going to live without my beautiful fan?" moaned TL.
I thought for a while, then suddenly I remembered Farmer Chen.
"TL, I think Farmer Chen can help you. He's very experienced with hens and ducks and turkeys too. I'll ask Head Nun to call him to come over."
"Thanks, Vege Cat and please tell Head Nun to keep it all private and confidential, ya?" he said, his face red with embarrassment. (Fortunately TL's corner is isolated from the hens and roosters, so he's free from prying eyes.)
Head Nun was rather concerned when I told her and she immediately called Farmer Chen who came over within the hour. He checked TL over, then said, "Well, you're a very healthy bird, I can't find anything wrong with you. As for your fan, I will try to fix it as best as I can."
For the next few minutes, he tugged and pulled this way and that but still it wouldn't open when TL tried.
"I tell you what, TL, let's try some exercise. We will do some pushups - I will count to 20 and on every count, you try to push your butt out as hard as possible. OK?"
Poor TL. After 20 counts, he almost collapsed, beads of perspiration rolling down his face and wetting his plumage. Still, the stubborn fan refused to open.
Farmer Chen scratched his head, then said, "I think it's a case of FFF."
"What the hell is that?" asked Bruce Lee who had been watching the whole thing.
"FAN FUNCTION FAILURE".
At this point, even though we tried to restrain ourselves, we (except Farmer Chen) burst out laughing, much to TL's chagrin. Even Head Nun who had been trying to keep a straight face all along, couldn't control herself.
"It's ok for you all to laugh but I'll be the laughing stock of the town soon," said TL miserably.
After thinking for a while, Farmer Chen then said, "I think you need some lubrication. I've got some hand cream in my truck, I'll go get it."
He returned almost immediately and started applying the cream to TL's dorsal.
"Ok, TL, now you try to open your fan," he said.
The first three attempts failed, then on the fourth attempt, the fan burst open with a loud squeak! We all cheered as TL opened and shut it several times until he was satisfied that it was working normally. Yay! Mission accomplished thanks to Farmer Chen!
Later, TL said to me, "I've never been more embarrassed in my life. I'm very thankful that you and Head Nun are so understanding and came to my rescue."
"You're always welcome, TL. By the way," I asked curiously. "How come a handsome bird like you never married? I'm sure you had many admirers when you were younger."
He winked at me, then whispered, "I'll let you in a secret. My one and only love is ...my fan!"
He then gave me a playful knock on the head and went back to his corner to sleep.
![]() |
| "It's ok to be different ..."🎵🎵 |


No comments:
Post a Comment