It was just another lazy morning. TK had asked me to come to the coop to listen to a new song that he had learnt, Bruce Lee was dozing in one corner and all was quiet.
Suddenly we were startled by the screeching of brakes and the loud blaring of a truck's horn. We went outside and saw that it was Farmer Chen. We were even more surprised to see Ms. Penny accompanied by a rooster and six adorable little chicks! Farmer Chen then said that Ms. Penny had requested him to take her back to Bruce Lee's coop as she wanted to see some of her old friends.
It was indeed a delightful surprise and everyone was so happy to see her again with her family. She introduced her husband, Mr. Goldie (so nicknamed because of his mane of gold coloured feathers around his neck) to Bruce Lee, who looked him up and down like he was his son-in-law before he uttered a curt "Hello". Mr. Goldie is indeed a splendid looking rooster, very elegant and handsome despite his age, and Bruce Lee probably felt a little jealous of his good looks because he ignored him and talked to Ms. Penny only.
While Ms. Penny was busy catching up with her friends, Farmer Chen drew us aside and said he had something to tell us.
"I was in town two days ago and passed by the market place. I then heard someone screaming my name and I turned to see that it was ..... Cluck Cluck!"
"What?" gasped Bruce Lee. "He's still around here?"
Farmer Chen nodded. "I saw that he and some other roosters were locked up in a cage ready to be sold in the market and Cluck Cluck was begging me to rescue him. I felt sorry for the poor guy, so I bought him and took him home. Obviously I could not let him stay at my farm because of Ms. Penny, so I left him at my brother's place not far from mine. He has been there since. I have not mentioned any of this to Ms. Penny but I thought you should know."
Bruce Lee snorted and said, "Serve him right! I hope he has learnt his lesson now!"
"I asked him whether he wanted to return to your coop," continued Farmer Chen. "But he said no, he did not dare face you again, Bruce Lee."
"Huh! I'm not surprised," said Bruce Lee.
"Well, if you decide to take him back, just let me know," said Farmer Chen.
So after the happy reunion, Ms. Penny and her family returned home with Farmer Chen. I was glad to see that she is now very happy and seemed to have forgotten about Cluck Cluck.
"Why not you forgive Cluck Cluck and take him back," TL asked Bruce Lee after they had gone.
"What if he causes trouble here again?" Bruce Lee said. "I don't want him to worry any of the hens, besides I don't think they would want him back. Let me think about it."
About a week later, we saw Farmer Chen again. I wondered what news he had this time.
"Bruce Lee," he said. "My brother woke up this morning and found Cluck Cluck gone. Not only that, but one of his hens was also missing. So it looks like they have both run away together!"
Bruce Lee almost choked when he heard this, then he apologised to Farmer Chen for the trouble Cluck Cluck had caused and for the loss of his brother's hen.
The old farmer laughed and said, "Not to worry, Cluck Cluck wasn't well liked at my brother's farm and they were all glad to be rid of him! As for that hen, she was stupid to follow him. Good luck to her!"
TL shook his head and said, "Something tells me we haven't seen the last of that young bird."
Bruce Led grunted but didn't make any comment. I thought he looked rather tired, I think he probably had enough of recent happenings in the coop!
Here's TL's new song. It's called "No Need to Race". Sing along and have fun!

No comments:
Post a Comment