Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Quiet Wesak Evening


Lord Buddha's statue at the temple

Wesak has come and gone and the nuns are taking a rest after preparing for the festival.  A lot of devotees came to the temple to pray to Lord Buddha and to bathe his small statue in the prayer hall.

We would have liked to go for the annual float procession but since Head Nun was not feeling well, none of us felt like going without her, so we spent Wesak evening quietly in the temple.

I was sitting near the kitchen door facing the garden when I had the strangest feeling that my old friend, Lao Tze the Rat was calling me.  I had been neglecting him for some time and really felt sorry about it.  I ran down the garden steps and found him sleeping near the weeping willow.  I gently shook him, but he didn't move. I shook him again and still he didn't move.

"I think he's dead," said a voice behind me.  It was Ning.

"Oh, no!" I cried, tears trickling down my cheeks.

"Look, there's a note addressed to you, read it!" said Ning.

With tears in my eyes, I read the neatly written note.  It said:

"My dear friend, Da, it's time to say goodbye.  I'm old and my body cannot stand this erratic weather any more and it's better that I take leave of it.

Time seems to have sped by so quickly since the day you first found me.*  I was sick and unable to move and I expected you to pounce on me and finish me off.  Instead, you picked me up and carried me to this garden, gave me food and water and helped me get well.  I will never be able to repay you for your kindness and compassion.

I also enjoyed the many evenings we spent together under the stars. We talked about so many things and you listened so quietly and attentively as I rattled on and on even though you were tired and wanted to go to bed.

Whatever happens, my dear one, don't give up your goal to attain Nirvana.  It is not an easy journey I know but you can make it.  Keep trying - the Lord Buddha will be waiting for you with open arms when you finish your journey.

Goodbye, my dear.

Signed: Lao Tze"

Ning and I dug a small grave for Lao Tze near the weeping willow.  I said a short prayer and brought his note back with me to the temple.

"See you in Nirvana, Lao Tze," I whispered, as I tucked his note under my blanket and went to sleep.


I shall never forget Lao Tze
 Read "A Tale of a Rat" - Posted April 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment