Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Pumpkin Buddies




Only a few days left and soon the "Ghost Month" will be over!  This last month, the temple columbarium was busy with many people coming with offerings for their departed loved ones and we were also kept busy with prayers throughout the day.  

Come to think of it, during this time, I saw very little of my two ghost pals, HD (Humpty Dumpty) and PH (Pumpkin Head) who reside in one of the niches in the columbarium (I call it "The Palace"!).  They must be catching up with their friends and happily enjoying the offerings!

I was getting ready for bed when this thought crossed my mind, then suddenly I saw PH coming towards me, as though he had read my thoughts, and with him another ghost with a pumpkin head identical to his.

"PH, where's HD?"  I asked.  He never goes anywhere without HD and it was unusual that this time he had some other ghost with him.

"For goodness sake, Vege Cat," said the second pumpkin head.  "Can't you see it's me?"

"Huh?  You mean you're HD?  How come you've got a pumpkin head?"

HD replied impatiently, "My friend here has been down in the dumps over the last few weeks, so to cheer him up, I decided to be his pumpkin buddy."

"Oh.  But what's bothering you, PH?"  I asked.

I was surprised when he burst into tears.  "Boo hoo!"

HD then explained that during the ghost month, they had been revelling with their spooky counterparts and unfortunately many made fun of PH and said he was a  "leftover" from last Halloween.  It upset him terribly and he hadn't been able to sleep nights because of this.

"Just ignore them, PH," I said, trying to offer some consolation.  "You're a very special ghost, there's none other with a pumpkin head like yours that can light up anytime you want it to."

HD was looking very thoughtful, then he said excitedly, "I've got an idea!  Why don't I change your pumpkin head to something else?  Hmmm, I think you would look cute as a little girl...." and he snapped his fingers and PH turned into a little girl ghost.  Then HD turned himself into a little boy ghost!



.

"There!  Don't we look cute together?" he asked me.

PH took a look in the mirror and shrieked.  "Eeeek, give me back my head, you idiot!  I don't want to be a silly little girl!"

"Actually, I think you look very cute," I said, cheekily, trying not to giggle.

"Alright, alright, no need to get excited," said HD and he changed both of them back to pumpkin heads.

Then, to my shock, I saw at least five or six pumpkin head ghosts sail into the kitchen - and they were all lady ghosts!  Good grief, I thought to myself, how come so many ladies had suddenly lost their heads.....!

"Hey, Pussycat, do your friends want to join our pumpkin party?" they called out.

I saw PH's pumpkin head light up and turn 360 degrees - twice.

"Sure we do!" he yelled, dragging HD with him and the whole bunch of them disappeared into the night.

"Have fun!" I shouted after them, happy that PH had forgotten his misery.

So who said ghosts don't have their own fun?  I can't wait to hear from PH what happened that night!



P.S.  The "Ghost Month" officially ends on 10 Sept. 



No comments:

Post a Comment