Monday, June 8, 2015

The Hero

After my recent adventures, I thought it was time I concentrated on my temple duties and meditation.  I had even forgotten some of the mantras regularly recited by the nuns.  So for the next few days, I attended meditation sessions every morning, did my chores and spent time revising my mantras.  

One evening after dinner, we were all sitting quietly in the kitchen.  A few nuns were talking to each other while others watched television.  One of the younger nuns, who was rather good at the computer and who had been surfing the net, suddenly burst out:  "Hey, listen to this!".  

We all stopped doing what we were doing and looked at her.  She continued rather excitedly, "A cat saved the life of a baby abandoned in the streets of Russia last January!"  That was thrilling news and we asked her to tell us more.

"The baby had been abandoned in the cold for a few hours and this cat climbed into his basket and kept him warm.  She even meowed to attract passersby and finally caught the attention of a city resident who knows her.  Thanks to the cat, the baby was saved." 

Then suddenly all of the nuns turned to look at me.  

"Vege Cat, have you done anything heroic like this before?" asked one of the nuns. 

"He only eats and sleeps," laughed a few of them.

I tried to grin because I knew they were only teasing - they had no idea of my "heroic" exploits outside the temple - but it did hurt - a wee bit.  

Then Head Nun spoke up.

"Vege Cat may not have saved a baby before but believe me, he has saved many from their ego, their pride and their greed."

That silenced the nuns and soon everyone went to bed.

"Thanks, Head Nun," I said, smiling gratefully.  

She patted my head gently and said, "You shall always be my hero, no matter what.."

As she walked away, she suddenly turned back and said sharply, "If I were you, I'd wipe that smile off your face. Your meditation has not improved and your chanting is even worse.  I expect you to work harder from now on, understand?"

Bless you, Head Nun.

No comments:

Post a Comment