Tuesday, November 3, 2015

No One's Perfect

I was shocked when Ning came limping into the temple kitchen late one evening. Not only was he limping but his whole body was covered with dirt and patches of blood.  One eye was blue black and there was a deep cut on his forehead.

"Ning, what on earth happened to you?"  I gasped.

He slumped onto the floor, groaning. Head Nun and another nun came running over.  Head Nun gently lifted his head and asked for some bandages and hot water.  These were immediately brought to her and she carefully cleaned up Ning's wound.  

"Looks like he's been in a fight," said Head Nun, shaking her head.  "Vege Cat, will you let him sleep in your basket until he's better?"

"Of course," I replied, truly concerned for Ning.  "Are we taking him to the vet?"

Head Nun checked Ning's body for signs of fracture, then said, "Doesn't look like he has any broken bones. His leg will be alright after some rest."

One of the nuns carried Ning and put him into my basket and we all gathered round, waiting to hear what had happened.  He opened one eye, then another, then winced as he felt the pain in his head.  

"Ning, were you in a fight?"  I asked.

He nodded, then said, "Just ... just now ... at the Long Tails Club ... some cats got drunk.  Things started flying and ..and somebody threw a stool at me ...."  He stopped, gasping for breath, then passed out.

"Give him some water when he wakes up" said Head Nun reassuringly.  "I've treated other cats before, he'll be alright, don't worry, Vege Cat."  She then instructed one of the nuns to make some broth for Ning to take later.

"I'll sit by him in case he needs anything, Head Nun,"  I said.  She smiled and nodded her approval.

Ning looked really sick.  As I sat there, I thought what a good friend he had been.  True at times he could be very stubborn and drove me nuts but he could be warm and helpful when he wanted to.  He had his own way of looking at things but that didn't mean he wasn't ok  I only wished he didn't spend so much time at the Long Tails Club. I hoped he wouldn't die.  I couldn't bear losing a good friend like him.

Ning woke up for a short while and I gave him the broth that the nuns had cooked for him.  After that he went back to sleep.  I slept on the floor beside him on a blanket which Head Nun had given me. During the night he groaned and tossed about restlessly. I had very little sleep and by morning, I was exhausted.

For the next three or four days, he hardly ate or drank.  All he wanted to do was sleep.  And at night he seemed to have bad dreams which made him shout out loud or break out in a cold sweat.

On the fifth morning, I was relieved to see that he appeared to be more normal.  He woke up, his eyes less cloudy and he actually asked for food.  The nuns were just as relieved, I had no idea they were so fond of him.  His leg was still painful and he couldn't get up and walk, so for the next few days, we did our best to see to his needs.  We brought him his food, nursed his leg, did just about everything for him like he was a newborn babe..

A few mornings later, he woke up, stretched and said to me, "Da, old boy, you don't mind if I sleep in your basket for a few more days, do you?  Oh, and could you please get me some hot milk and biscuits.  It's so warm in here, can you open the window?"

Frankly I was getting a little irritated by his demands.  It had been more than  ten days since he came to the temple. I missed my prayers and meditation with the nuns.  I was like his personal maid at his beck and call. But I didn't say anything to anyone, after all Ning is my good friend and good friends need help especially when they're sick.

One night, I went to bed early since Ning had also dozed off.  In the middle of the night, I heard some sounds from the kitchen.  I slowly opened my eyes thinking perhaps Ning wanted something but he was not in the basket.  I sat up, wondering where he could be. Then to my surprise, I saw him jump onto the stove and eat some leftovers. Then he jumped down and walked about the kitchen.  It was only after a few moments that I realised with a start that he was moving around normally like there was nothing wrong with his leg! I was baffled, didn't he say his leg was still painful and he couldn't walk?  Then it slowly dawned on me that, maybe, just maybe, Ning was putting on an act, pretending he was still ill but I kept quiet and went back to sleep.

In the morning, Ning was as usual giving me orders to do this and that. Head Nun saw the look of frustration on my face and gently drew me aside.

"Head Nun," I began.  "I don't mean to be unkind but last night ....."

Head Nun interrupted me. "I know it's been hard for you.  Out of the goodness of your heart, you had been very patient and took care of Ning with much love and kindness. I have known for some time that Ning's leg had healed but I didn't say anything because I wanted to see how long you could bear this test.  I know you know now that Ning has been well for the past few days.and he can walk. He had been taking advantage of you but then no one's perfect, Vege Cat. He is getting old and it must be very lonely staying by himself in that place of his, that's why he enjoys the attention given to him here.  Sometimes I feel quite sorry for him.  He is welcome to stay here but he must learn not to bully or take advantage of others.  You've been a good soul. The Lord Buddha will bless you for your efforts."

Head Nun patted my head and said, "Leave it to me."  She then went to her room to rest.

I had no idea what Head Nun was up to but later that evening, after an early dinner, Head Nun came over to see Ning who had just polished up a plate of tuna.

"Ning," said Head Nun.  "I'm quite concerned over that leg of yours.  It has been almost two weeks since it got injured and you still can't walk.  I think you should see the vet and I have made an appointment for you tomorrow morning.  They'll put one or two jabs in your leg and you'll be able to walk again but I should let you know first that those jabs are very painful and ...."

Before Head Nun could finish, Ning had jumped out of the basket and run out of the kitchen in less than five seconds.  Head Nun and I looked at each, then burst into laughter.

"Poor Ning," I said.  "I truly hope he will be alright.  Like you said, Head Nun, he is getting old ...."

Head Nun smiled.  "Vege Cat, you can go tell him afterwards that he's welcome here anytime and we won't take him to the vet!  We're all getting old, who knows one day I might pretend I'm sick so that all of you will fuss over me!"

All the nuns roared with laughter.  Oh, how I love living in this temple - so much to learn, so much to discover - and best of all, so much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment