Thursday, May 28, 2015

WWW - Pt.4




On my way back to the temple, I bumped into my old friend, Yunzhi, the woodcutter.  He asked me whether I knew about the storm and the damage it caused.  He said that fortunately his hut was some distance away from the area struck by lightning and he and his family were safe.

"Yes, I know, Yunzhi and I'm glad you're all safe." I replied.  Then I remembered the Forest Queen's statue.

"Yunzhi!  I'm so glad I met you.  The Forest Queen's statue that you carved some time ago has been destroyed by the storm!"

"Oh no!  I shall go to the grotto and take a look." 

It was as though Fate had arranged for me to meet him.  Yunzhi said he would try to make a new statue in two weeks and he would inform me as soon as he had finished.

I was on tenterhooks for the next two weeks and every few days, I would run to the grotto and see how Yunzhi was getting on.  True to his word, he finished the job in two weeks and there she was ... the Forest Queen standing regally in the grotto again, as though nothing had happened.

"Your Majesty, you're looking good!"  I said happily as I arranged some wild flowers around the statue.

"Really?"  said a voice behind me.  I turned round and was delighted to see my old friend again.

"Your Majesty, are you alright?"  I asked.

"What do you mean, am I alright?  Of course, I'm not alright, some of my most beautiful trees have been destroyed and you ask me a silly question like that!" she retorted.  She then walked up to the statue and inspected it.

"Huh, a poor replica - nobody can capture my good looks, nobody!"

"Sorry, Your Majesty, Yunzhi did his best."

"You don't have to apologise," she said curtly.  "Anyway, I've got good news - I have reported what happened to the Witches Council for Justice and Peace and they have stripped both WWW and the Wizard of their powers!"

"That's great!  That means they won't be causing us any more trouble." I said.

The Forest Queen shook her head grimly.  "WWW has many allies, some of whom are powerful sorcerers who are only too willing to help her.  If I were you, I would stay in the temple and stop wandering around the forest.  Your temple is protected by a powerful and compassionate Presence who watches over everyone in it. You will be safe there."

"You mean Lord Buddha!"  I exclaimed.

"Whatever you call it," said she.

"What about you?  Will you be in danger?"  I asked.

She smiled and said, "I'm moving over to the North where the coniferous forests are. But get this straight, I'm not running away!  I've been up North many times and believe me, the most beautiful trees live there.  I love it especially in the autumn when their leaves turn gold, red, yellow, and in the winter, they are covered by the whitest of white snow, untouched by man...."  Her eyes became dreamy as she spoke.

"But what about the trees here?" I cried.

"Oh, they're mostly mature trees and they can survive on their own.  I need a few more days to nurse some of them back to health with my tender care and a little magic, of course, and they'll be alright."

I stood there, saddened by what she had just told me.

"You don't have to look so sad, cat," she snapped.  "I shall still pay occasional visits to this forest but most of my time will be spent up North."

"But ... but what if we need your help?"  I said glumly.

"I told you, stay in the temple and no harm shall come to you.  Well, I must finish my work now, oh what a mess...!"

She disappeared before I could say anything more.

I didn't know how long I remained there in the grotto. Tears welled up my eyes, I was going to miss my strange, eccentric friend.  I started to walk back to the temple, then suddenly something made me turn round.

A cold shiver ran down my spine and the hair on my back stood on end as I saw a black crow swoop down to the Forest Queen's statue, circle it three times, then fly off cawing loudly.

It was like an omen, a warning that all is not over .... yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment