Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Mid-Autumn Nostalgia

One evening during the Mid-Autumn Festival, Lao Lo invited me to share his mooncakes and I was delighted to accept his invitation as it had been some time since I had seen both him and Ning.  When I arrived, Lao Lo had already set up a small table under a tree and on it was a big plate of mooncakes and a pot of jasmine tea.

"Come, help yourself," said Lao Lo, beaming.  We settled under the tree and nibbled the mooncakes.  Up in the sky shone a beautiful moon while a gentle breeze blew.

"Thanks so much for inviting me, Lao Lo, these mooncakes are delicious!" I said.

He smiled, sat back and there was a faraway look in his eyes.

"This time of the year always brings back nostalgic memories of the time I was small," said Lao Lo.  "I don't think I have told you both about my family in China.  My father used to sell vegetables in the market until one day he fell ill and had to close his stall. Eventually he died and Mother was left alone to look after me.  She was a good cook, so she made "pows" (buns) to sell by the roadside. I would go along with her and help to sell them, but more often than ever, I would become so hungry, I would eat the pows!  Loving as she was, she never chided me but worked harder than ever before to make more pows!


Mother would make her own mooncakes for the Mid-Autumn Festival and she was very proud of them.  She would offer them to the moon and pray for me to grow up strong and healthy!  I loved those with egg yolk inside and after prayers were over, I would gobble them up before anyone else could eat them!"

"Mother lived up to age 80," continued Lao Lo. "Looking back, although we didn't have much money, we were a small happy family.  We didn't have everything we wanted but God provided us with everything we needed.  I remember we were too poor to buy a lantern for the festival and I envied my friends who paraded around town with theirs. Mother would look at me and say, "Ah Kum, always be contented.  For everything you have missed, believe me, you have gained something else."  I shall always remember these words till the day I die."

 "You're lucky to have such a kind and wise mother," I said.  Lao Lo smiled and nodded his head in agreement.


"What about you, Da?  Do you have any fond memories of the mid-autumn festival which you would like to share with us?" asked Lao Lo. Well, I was tempted to tell him about my adventure to the moon and my meeting with Chang E, but decided against it.  Both he and Ning would never believe me!  (See post: "The Lady in the Moon").


"Er.... no, I don't think so, Lao Lo,"  I said. 

Ning grinned. "He's been to the moon and back," he said, slapping my back playfully.

Lao Lo laughed, so did Ning - and so did I.  Yes, I had been to the moon but I'll save that story for my grandchildren and great grand children ...




No comments:

Post a Comment