Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Patriotic Poet's Back!

It’s that festival again, the one about a patriotic poet. Every year at this time, Head Nun and her assistants work themselves to the bone preparing what they call rice dumplings which they offer to Lord Buddha and other gods in the temple.

It is fascinating to watch how they wrap bamboo leaves around a little mound of glutinous rice which they fill with mushrooms, garlic, shallots and other ingredients. It does take some skill but what puzzles me is that after the festival is over, nobody is very keen to eat those dumplings. I heard some people say that glutinous rice gives rise to indigestion as well as body aches after consumption and that's probably why they’re not eaten much!

I don’t like the stuff either because it sticks to my teeth. One of the nuns gave me a generous helping and I was wondering what to do with it. When she sees that I have not touched it, she’s going to strangle me!

Idea …Think I will hide it under a flower pot when no one’s looking...


Head Nun's rice dumplings


No comments:

Post a Comment