Monday, June 12, 2023

The Wheel of Karma - Pt. 2


When I arrived at the old ladies' house the next morning, they were delighted to see me but told me that Shabina had been very miserable since she came home from the hospital.  She had been crying her eyes out every day and nothing they said could console her.  I could understand the physical and emotional pain she was going through and felt quite sorry for her.

When Shab saw me, she turned her face away and said, "Have you come to tell me 'I told you so'?"

"Nope!" I said, putting the flowers I bought for her beside her basket.  "Look, I don't understand what's with you.  You are lucky to be alive and you could at least have some consideration for the feelings of those two old dearies who have been taking care of you day and night.  Can't you see how much they love you?  By being miserable, you are also making them miserable.  Ok, ok, I won't say any more.  You have two choices: 1) Be happy and grateful you're alive or 2) Be miserable for the rest of your life."

She was silent for a while, then said, "I'm tired, please go away" and she rolled over and turned her back to me.  What a proud and stubborn female she is, I thought to myself as I left.

The two old ladies made me promise to come back again to see her and I said I would do my best.  As I left the house, I noticed that there was a grey cat sitting on the neighbouring fence.  He said hello and introduced himself as Larry.

"I heard that there's a sick cat in the house," he said.  "Okay if I visit her?"

 He looked a decent sort, so I replied "Of course", thinking it would be good if someone could talk to Shab and keep her company.  Later the oldies told me that Shab at first refused to see him but he persisted and finally she relented.  Soon he was making regular visits and trying his best to lift her spirits.  He talked to her, carried her to the garden for exercise and fresh air and fed her.  Eventually, she became more cheerful and even looked forward to his visits as time went by.  

Then TA DA! 🎶 I heard that Larry had proposed to Shab and she had accepted his proposal of marriage.  Wow, he does work fast, I thought to myself.  The two old dearies were so excited.  At first Larry wanted Shab to go over next door and live with him but she declined, saying that she preferred to be with her two old friends.  So Larry agreed to stay with her in the two old ladies' house with their consent of course and his owner didn't mind at all if he moved next door as she had another cat.  So it was all arranged and they got married one sunny morning with only the old ladies, Larry's owner and myself present and of course Da who said a few prayers and blessed them.

Later that evening, before I fell asleep, I thought again about karma.  It looks like it had  arranged everything.  If Shab had not got involved with Percival, she wouldn't have had that accident and if she hadn't had that accident, she wouldn't have gone back to stay with her two old friends and if she hadn't gone back to stay with her two old friends, she wouldn't have met Larry, the cat staying next door who happened to be a bachelor and whose owner didn't mind him marrying Shab and moving next door  because she had another cat.  Shab's good merits had earned her a chance to find happiness but at the cost of much pain and sorrow but then that's paying back past karma.

Quite mind boggling, isn't it? I wonder what Da has to say about all this.  Goodnight.




No comments:

Post a Comment