Friday, June 9, 2023

The Wheel of Karma - Pt. 1

 

Story told by Ning




I had stopped going to the Club for some time and when I returned last night, I saw to my surprise that another feline, Ling was tending the bar, not Shabina.  When I asked, I was told that Shabina had resigned and nobody had any idea where she had gone.  I knew she had been emotionally down since Lau Hor's death and hoped she hadn't gone and done something foolish like jumping into the river.

I remembered she told me about the two elderly ladies whom she stayed with when she was a kitten and I hurried to their house, thinking that maybe she had gone back to them.  When I knocked on the door, an old woman in her seventies opened the door.

"Madam," I said.  "Is Shabina here?"

She looked rather surprised, then said, "Shabina?  We haven't seen her for years."  

Oh no, where could she be? I didn't know where else to look, then something made me go back to the back lane where Lau Hor used to sleep.  I ran into Benito who pulled me aside and said, "Hey, you know what?  That slut, Shabina was here two nights ago and guess what?  She brought food for everyone in the lane.  Huh, she must be feeling very guilty over Lau Hor's death and trying to make up for it." 

"Will she be coming again tonight?" I asked.

"God knows but you can hang around if you like, though I don't see why you want to go near the likes of her."

I waited until late in the evening but she didn't show up.  Oh well, I thought, at least I know she's alive, so I need not worry about her and I went home.

The next evening, I was at the Club and enjoying a quiet drink when suddenly the door burst open.  It was Percival, the rich tabby.  Not only is he rich but he's also a fat, loud mouthed bully and showoff. And I was shocked when I saw Shabina hanging on to him!  I think her friends at the Club were equally shocked.  She was dressed to the hilt, with jewelry on her head, ears and around her neck and she had dyed her white fur a golden brown colour.  Oh no, I thought to myself, now she's really in trouble.

Then that bully was at my table and breathing down my neck.  "Hey, you, what are you doing sitting at my table?  Shove off!" and he gave me a push.  I don't always lose my temper but this is too much.  

"Who says this is your table?  I don't see your name on it, so YOU had better shove off,"  I said trying to be as calm as possible.

He banged his paw on the table, then to my surprise, Shabina suddenly stepped in front of him and said, "Look, darling, let's not waste time on this weasel.  Let's find another table," and she dragged him away.  I must say I didn't expect her to do that nor be called a "weasel" but she saved us from a fight.  So I finished my drink and walked off.

Outside, I took in a deep breath of the cool air, then I heard someone calling me.  I turned and saw that it was Shabina. 

"Look, I'm sorry about what happened inside," she began.

"Oh, it's alright, this isn't the first time he's made a fool of himself," I replied.

I looked at her and said, "Shab, are you sure you know what you're doing?"

Anger flashed in her eyes, then she said,  "I've been behind that bar for so many years and I'm sick of it.  What's wrong if I want some fun?  He's the only one who can give me everything I want!"

"Sure, fun, money, booze, what else? Look, I know it's none of my business, but we've been friends for so long and all I want is to see you happy and not waste away your life, ok?" and I turned and was going to walk off but she stopped me.

"Wait, I'm sorry if I was angry with you." she said.  She hesitated, then continued, "The guys in the back lane told me how kind you were to Lau Hor......my father.  I just want to say 'thank you'......"

I nodded, then said, " Take care."  I left her standing in the dark.  I knew she wouldn't listen to anything else I had to say, so might as well leave.

I didn't go the Club for the next few nights as I couldn't stand the sight of that fat lump.  When I finally returned, Ling came running to me and gasped, "Ning, where have you been?  Percival and Shabina were in a road accident two days ago. Percy's dead and Shab is in a critical condition in the animal hospital!"

I rushed immediately to the hospital.  Apparently they had both been drunk and were run over by a car.  I found Shab covered in bandages in a corner of the cats' ward, eyes closed.  I gently stroked one of her paws and said, "You're gonna be ok, hear?"

She opened her eyes and looked at me.  "Ning," she whispered hoarsely.  "I have some savings.... give them to the two old ladies.... ask Ling," and she passed out.  I sat there with her waiting for the end.

As it turned out, Shabina made an unexpected recovery but could never walk again.  When the two old ladies heard of her plight, they insisted on taking her home with them so that they could look after her.  I collected her savings from Ling and passed them to the old ladies.

On my way home that day, it suddenly came to my mind what Da had often told me about karma, that we have to pay for the consequences of our actions in our present and previous lives.  Is Shabina paying back for neglecting her father?  But then he killed her mother and one can't blame her for not forgiving him.  Oh I don't know, this karma business is very complex and complicated.  I will leave it to Da to sort this one out.  

Oh yes, I mustn't forget to bring some flowers for Shab tomorrow....


No comments:

Post a Comment