Monday, May 31, 2010

Wesak Day Wisdom

28th May was Wesak Day and the temple was alive with dozens of devotees coming to offer prayers to Lord Buddha. Head Nun and her nuns had been very busy the week before cleaning up the temple and getting ready the various offerings to place on the altars.


As is customary every year, devotees are given the opportunity to bathe a small statue of Lord Buddha (see picture above). Head Nun explained to us that the bathing of the Buddha statue symbolizes our aspiration, determination and effort to purity our body, speech and mind. All very mind boggling especially for a cat. No killing, no stealing, no sexual misconduct ….no wonder my cat friends prefer to live OUTSIDE the temple! I had many questions to ask but Head Nun had no time to go into details.


Life IS pretty tough with all the austerities being practised in the temple. But I chose this life, so I’m sticking to my choice. Cousin Li used to tease me that he could see the shining aura around my head. Well, I hope in time to come, he will really see it!

Here are some of the teachings which I remember …
















May we all live in peace and harmony!

No comments:

Post a Comment