Friday, November 16, 2012

Dragon Island - Pt.3

In a short while, the sea started to churn and we knew the dragon was coming.

"We've got it!"  Om and I shouted excitedly as it burst from the waves.

"Oh, thank you, thank you so much," said the dragon, its eyes wet with tears as it took the necklace.  "I knew you would not fail me. You have saved my baby, how can I ever repay you?"

"No need for thanks, we were glad to help," I said.

"Well, I can't leave without giving you something."  As we watched in awe, it spit out two gigantic pearls and sent them rolling onto the beach.  "Take these pearls as my token of thanks and gratitude.  If you ever need my help, just think of me and I shall be there."  With that, it dived back into the sea and disappeared from sight.

We stood at the sea shore looking in fascination at the gigantic pearls - they were each bigger than the wheel of a car!

"Well, Da," said Om.  "What are we going to do with these pearls?"

I thought for a while, then said, "We'll give them to the monastery.  The Head Monk has many plans to help the poor and these pearls will come in useful."

Om thought it was a good idea and with the help of a few monks, we managed to carry the pearls back to the monastery.

We left the monastery for home the next morning as Om had to return to Thailand.  He promised he would be back soon and in the following weeks, I missed him terribly.  Soon after, I received a call from the Head Monk.

"Da, you will be pleased to know that the dragon's pearls fetched a very good price and I was able to implement a number of projects for the poor.  Incidentally, I saw the dragon fly across the sky with its baby the other night, they both looked very happy!  I don't think it will disturb us again now that its baby is alive and well."

It was certainly very good news.  A dragon ... a lost necklace ... two gigantic pearls ... what next, I wondered ....

Two gigantic pearls from the dragon


No comments:

Post a Comment