Thursday, May 11, 2023

The Test - Pt. 2

On the way back, I told Ah Ying all that had happened the night before.   She shook her head in disbelief and said, "It seems that after the fire incident, Ajahn C. had not been quite himself.  Sometimes he did strange and irrational things.  I hope CC will be ok."

We of course could not  communicate with CC as the monks are not allowed to use mobile phones and after CC had been there for something like three weeks, I became more and more anxious about him.  When I told Ah Ying that I was worried for CC, she said she knows the sundry shop owner, Ah Lye who delivers dry rations to the monastery weekly and said she would ask him to find out discreetly how CC is doing.  It was a good idea and I waited anxiously to hear his  news.

Ah Lye came back with some disturbing news.  It seems he is quite close to the cook at the monastery from whom he heard that CC had been undergoing a lot of hardship.  Ajahn C. had sent him to toil in the monastery's vegetable garden daily and he also had to clean the monastery room by room everyday.  It's a big place and it's not surprising he had little time to eat or sleep.  The robust young man had lost a lot of weight and had become thin and haggard.

"OMG," I gasped.  "Head Nun, we've got to get him out of there!"

Head Nun raised her eyebrows and said, "Vege Cat, remember, he chose to go there and so he must accept whatever comes along."

"But ... but he's being bullied and ill treated. We can't let him go on like that."

"Perhaps Ah Lye can smuggle him out in one of his big potato sacks," said Ah Ying thoughtfully.

"Don't be silly," scolded Head Nun.  "Look, since you're both so concerned, I will go to the monastery and see this Ajahn C. myself.  He cannot refuse me if I ask to see CC and if he has truly been ill treated, I shall demand to take him back with us."

Both Ah Ying and I were delighted and thanked Head Nun profusely.  So two days later, the three of us set off in Ah Ying's car to the monastery.  Head Nun had called Ajahn C. ahead to expect us, so he was waiting for us when we arrived.  He greeted us in his usual callous manner and the look that he gave me was like "You again!" though he didn't say a word to me.

After some light conversation, Head Nun casually asked about CC and whether we could see him.  Ajahn C's face changed, he pursed his lips, then asked, "Why do you want to see him?"

"He is a good friend of ours," replied Head Nun, smiling.  "We just want to see how he's doing."

Ajahn C. didn't say anything, he clapped his hands and told one of his monks to bring CC in.  

I almost cried at the sight of CC.  He was so thin that his bones stuck out and he could hardly walk.  I heard Head Nun gasp, then she stood up and said in a loud voice, "We are taking CC home with us NOW."

Ajahn C's face was like stone and he said coolly,  "He came here begging to join my monastery.  I made it clear to him that he would have to undergo some tests.  It was his choice to stay on, you have no right to interfere." 

"I don't care about you and your tests, you are nothing but a cold, heartless brute!" yelled Head Nun, livid with rage. I had never seen her so angry before.  "You, take him to our car," she said pointing to the monk who had brought CC in.  The monk looked at his master, afraid to move.  Ajahn C. didn't say anything for a minute, then he signalled to the monk to let CC go with us.  

"Have it your way," he said.  "One less mouth to feed."  With that he walked away.

Head Nun was still fuming when we drove back to the temple.  "We ought to report him to the police," she said.  Meanwhile CC was so tired that he slept all the way back.  We decided to take him to his former temple and the chief monk there was very kind and understanding and said he would take good care of him.

A couple of weeks later, we visited CC and were so happy to see that he had recovered.  When he saw Head Nun, he fell to his knees, bowed his head and thanked her for "rescuing" him.  Head Nun smiled gently and said, "Now, make sure you don't get yourself into trouble again, young man!"

"I won't, I promise," he replied.  "I really didn't expect that going to that monastery would end in disaster. It's a pity that a man with such profound knowledge has lost his mind."

We were happy to learn that CC had started Sunday classes in Buddhism for children in the area and once a week, he gave talks at the temple to the public.

As for Ajahn C, we heard that he had been sent back to Thailand and a new monk had taken over the monastery.

"Good riddance," said Head Nun.  "I still think we should have reported him to the police."

"Not to worry, Head Nun, the Lord Buddha will see he receives his just punishment," I said.  

So all's well that ends well.  However one thing was still on my mind.  I knew that something had happened to me at Ajahn C's monastery when I was there for the retreat but I just couldn't recall what - and it looks like I'll never be able to find out.



No comments:

Post a Comment