Tuesday, May 9, 2023

The Test - Pt. 1

Shortly after Wesak, I was delighted to see CC at the temple.  He said his ship had just docked and he regretted having missed the Wesak celebrations at our temple.  I asked him when he would be sailing again and was rather surprised when he shook his head and said he had ended his contract with the cruise line.  

Seeing the surprise on my face, he continued, "Vege Cat, I thought travel and adventure would be so exciting and fulfilling but I have found it is not so.  I feel this emptiness within me and after thinking about it, I have decided to be a monk again. I want to join Ajahn Channarong's monastery." 

"What?" I gasped.  "Are you serious?"

CC smiled.  "Yes, I am.  I have heard rumours about the place being haunted but that doesn't worry me.  I shall be there to learn, not to fool around.  I'm going tomorrow to the monastery to see Ajahn C., will you come with me?"

I really didn't know what to say.  The thought of going back to that monastery sent chills up and down my spine.

"Er - why do you need me to go with you?"  I asked.  "You can manage on your own, I'm sure."

"Oh come on, Vege Cat, just do me this favour.  The old sifu will be pleased to see you!  In fact I have called him to expect us tomorrow. I have also spoken to your Head Nun and she has agreed to let you come with me, so I shall see you tomorrow morning at 8."

I was hoping Head Nun would have turned him down but she hadn't, so I found myself with CC on the bus to the monastery the next morning.  CC was in bright spirits and was singing and humming all the way.  As for me, I felt like I was on a journey to Doomsville.

When we arrived at the monastery, we were immediately taken to see Ajahn C.  He greeted us cordially, asked us to sit down, then said to CC: "So you wish to join my monastery.  Why?"

"Sir, when I attended that retreat not so long ago at your monastery, I was impressed by your knowledge and wisdom.  I want to learn as much as I can from you."

Ajahn C. then looked at me and said, "What about him?"

"Oh I asked him to accompany me here.  He will be going back to his temple."

Ajahn C. did not make any comment, much to my relief.  Turning to CC, he said, "I will consider your request.  You should know that all who aspire to join the monastery have to undergo a test.  You will stay here for a night, if you pass the test, you will be accepted."

CC beamed and said he would obey his orders.

"CC," I whispered.  "Do I also have to stay?" It was really the last thing I wanted to do.

Even before CC could answer, Ajahn C. said curtly, "Yes, you too!". It was obvious that he wasn't taking "No" for an answer. He then summoned one of his monks to take us to our room and told us to join in the meditation session later.

We found it was the same room that we had for the retreat and CC immediately threw himself onto the bed to rest.  As for me, I had never felt so uneasy, the room reminded me of something that had happened at the retreat but I still could not remember what.  Seeing my uneasiness, CC said that I could sleep with him on the bed that night and I readily took up his offer!

That night before we fell asleep, I asked CC whether he had any idea what test Ajahn C. had for him.  CC shook his head sleepily and said, "I'll cross that bridge when I come to it."  We finally fell asleep only to be woken up a few hours later.  Our bed was shaking like an earthquake had hit the place and we almost fell out.  "Don't panic, keep calm," he said.  I saw that he was looking round the room while clinging onto the bed, then he said, "Look, Vege Cat, if it were an earthquake, the other things in the room like that chair and table would be shaking also.  It's only our bed, it's been rigged."  Then the shaking stopped and the window suddenly flew open, letting in a cold draft and three shadowy figures who were moaning and making eerie sounds.  

"Help, help," I cried, hiding behind CC.  CC was unshaken, instead he looked up at the walls and said with a grin, "Hey, don't panic.  It's only an illusion - there's probably a hidden LED projector somewhere up there."  Then as suddenly as they appeared, the figures vanished.

"Wow, they seem to have gone to great trouble just to scare us," said CC, laughing.  I peered from behind his back and said, "They're ... they're gone?"  

"Ya, you can come out now.  If this is the test Ajahn C. was talking about, then sorry, sifu, you don't scare me in the least!"

The next morning, at breakfast, Ajahn C. looked at us hard and asked, "So did you sleep well last night? 

"Oh," CC replied cheerfully.  "There appeared to be an earthquake last night and then a sudden storm blew some wandering ghosts inside our room, apart from that, we slept quite well, thank you."

When Ajahn C. heard his reply, he didn't look too pleased.  He must have expected us to be scared out of our wits and beg to leave!  Then he said, "That's only the first part of the test.  Believe me, the second part is not as easy as you think.  You can still change your mind and leave."

CC shook his head.  "I am determined to be your disciple and I shall persevere."  It was what I expected CC to say, so I couldn't do anything except keep quiet.  

"Alright then," Ajahn C. said.  He then clapped his hands and a monk appeared.  "Take him to the vegetable garden," he said.  It was a hot day and to be working in the garden under the blazing sun would make any person sick.  But of course I had no say in the matter.

Then CC turned to me and said, "Vege Cat, I forgot to tell you.  Ah Ying will be here any minute to take you back to the temple."  

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay with you?"  I asked anxiously.

"I'll be ok," he said, smiling and went off with the monk.  Ah Ying arrived soon and drove me back to the temple.  


No comments:

Post a Comment