Sunday, April 23, 2023

One Last Peg (Pt.2)


(Continuation of story by Ning)


I heard from one of the stray cats living in Lau Hor's back lane that they would be having a "memorial service" for the old cat and he asked whether I would like to come.  I said of course I would and so that morning, we gathered around the old wooden crates where Lau Hor used to sit.  I noted that the whiskey bottle had disappeared, probably some tramp had taken it.  The leader of the group, an old tomcat by the name of Benito, began the service, said a few good words about Lau Hor, then we all observed a minute's silence, and after that everyone dispersed.

I was about to leave when I suddenly caught sight of a familiar face - Shabina!  Surprised, I went up to her and asked, "Shab, what are you doing here?"  

She hesitated for a moment, then said, "Er. .. I was just curious after hearing your story about the old cat and the whiskey...."

I looked down sadly and said, "I was too late.  He died the night before I could give him his whiskey."

Just then, Benito came up from behind and to my surprise, he spat at Shabina and growled: "You! What are you doing here?  How dare you come here!"

"Benito," I asked, rather shocked.  "What's this all about?"

"You mean you don't know?" he replied gruffly.  "This no good bitch is Lau Hor's daughter!"

"What?"  I gasped.

"She left him to rot in these slumps all these years while she led a snug, cosy life.  I pleaded with her to help Lau Hor but she refused. Now she dares to show her face here!  Get lost, hear?" and with that, he shuffled away.

I looked at Shabina who had somewhat turned pale.  "Shab, is this true?"  I asked.

I saw a flash of anger in Shab's eyes, then she yelled, "Yes, it's true!  And I don't regret anything I've done.  My father killed my mother and I shall never forgive him for that!"

That came as another shock. "Look," I said. "I'm sorry all this came up.  It's really none of my business.  I've got to go."  

But she grabbed my shoulder and said, "Don't you want to hear my side of the story before you pass judgement on me?  We've been good friends at the Club for so long, you could at least hear me out."

 It's true we had been buddies for a long time and she had done me some favours, so I sighed and said, "Alright, but make it short."

We went to a quiet corner of the lane.  I didn't really want to hear her story, what's past is past, let the old cat rest in peace.  But she insisted. 

 "We were a very happy family," she began.  "We lived in an abandoned house and the neighbours (two elderly humans) often brought us food.  Then he got into some bad company and came home drunk almost every night.  He would pick a quarrel with my mom, then beat her up.  One night they had a terrific fight and he strangled her in his drunken rage.  I was only six months old at that time, you can imagine how scared I was.  I ran to the neighbours for help but when they came back with me, my mom was already dead and my no good father had disappeared.  He never came back. The neighbours then adopted me and brought me up.  When I was old enough, I decided to leave them as I didn't want to be a burden to them.  I managed to find a job at the Long Tails Club where I've been for the last few years, as you know."

"And all this while you didn't look for your father or hear from him?" I asked.

"Why should I look for him?" she answered back defiantly.  "He's a murderer and drunkard, I don't want anything to do with him!"

"Yet you came here this morning after you heard my story about the old cat and the whiskey.  You wanted to see whether the cat was your father or not, am I right?"

She looked away but didn't say anything. 

"Shab, I think deep down, you still think of him despite everything, otherwise you wouldn't be here.  It's difficult, I know but why don't you forgive him and let him rest in peace, ok?" I said gently, patted her paw, got up and left. I didn't know what else to say, I'm not as good as Da when it comes to situations like this.  As I walked down the lane, I saw from the corner of my eye that she was still sitting there, head bent.

I decided it was best to avoid going to the Club for the next few nights.  Shab needed some space and my presence there would only make her uncomfortable.  Strangely Lau Hor never mentioned to me that he had a family when I was with him.  He only talked about his exploits as a young cat.  Well, wherever he may be now, I hope he will find peace - and maybe a peg or two of whiskey! 



No comments:

Post a Comment