Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Buddha Talk - Forgiveness



We were gathered around the kitchen table for another of Head Nun's "Buddha Talk".

"This evening, we're going to talk about forgiveness," said Head Nun.  " I shall now tell you a wonderful story.

A restless businessman once came into Buddha’s assembly, walked straight to him and spat at Buddha. He was furious that his children who could have spent their time earning money, sat with Buddha instead, with their eyes closed. Buddha merely smiled at him. There was no word, no reaction.

 The man walked away in a huff, shocked. He could not sleep all night. For the first time in his life, he met someone who smiled when he was spat at. His whole world had turned upside down.

The next day he went back to Buddha, fell at his feet and said, “Please forgive me! I didn’t know what I did.” But Buddha said, “No! I cannot excuse you!” Everyone in his assembly was taken aback! Buddha said, “Why should I forgive you when you have done nothing wrong?”

The businessman reminded him of what he did on the previous day. Buddha simply replied, “Oh that person is not here now. If I ever meet the person you spat on, I’ll tell him to excuse you. To this person here, you’ve not done any wrong.”

So what do you learn from this story, nuns?"

"You must be sincere and compassionate when forgiving someone," said one of the nuns.

"Well said," exclaimed Head Nun.  "Forgiving others with a sense of compassion, like what Lord Buddha did, is the best form of forgiveness."

"The Lord Buddha said that forgiveness is a gift to yourself," continued Head Nun.  "It frees you from the past and allows you to live in the present.  I know it can be hard to forgive and let go but it's worse to harbour resentment.  Think how many sleepless nights you will have if there's anger and revenge in your heart.  Forget the harm people have done to you.  Instead treat them right and you will earn the merits of your good action.

So now before you fall asleep tonight, I want all of you to spend a few minutes to think about that person who has hurt you and forgive him or her.  Believe me, you will sleep soundly after that."

I don't know how many nuns did what Head Nun told them to do but they seemed to be a more cheerful lot the next morning.

Do cats forgive?  Hmmm, good question .....


No comments:

Post a Comment