Monday, February 24, 2014

East of the Moon - Pt.1

I couldn't get Mei's adventure out of my mind, especially the place that was called "East of the Moon".  You know how cats are, once our curiosity is aroused, there's no stopping us!  I tried to talk to some of the doves but they clammed up as soon as I mentioned "East of the Moon".  "This place is only for us doves, and you're not a dove, so we can't tell you anything." they said.  Really, I couldn't see the reason behind this secrecy, after all I can't fly and go there!

Many a night, I gazed at the moon, thinking of this special place which the doves fly to.  On one such night, as I was drifting off to sleep, I was amazed to see a stream of white light descend from near the moon.  I gazed at it in awe and wondered whether I was dreaming.  The light came closer and to my astonishment, a beautiful white swan appeared in the light.  In a soft, sweet voice, she said, "I know your desire to see "East of the Moon" and I have come to take you there.  Hop on to my back and we shall be there in no time."  I hesitated.  "Quickly," the swan said, "otherwise it will be too late."  Without thinking any further, I hopped onto the swan's back and off we flew.

We winged through miles of space and then slowed down as we neared a most strange looking planet.  One half of it was covered with snow while the other half was alive with green vegetation.  "We have arrived," said the swan. We slowly descended, just like an aircraft, and landed near a lovely lake surrounded by flowers and trees.

""Welcome to "East of the Moon"," said the swan.  "You may call me "Gervirah". This planet is actually divided into two - one side is Winter and one side is Spring.  Your friend, Mei, the dove, landed in Winter and would have frozen to death if I had not seen her.  It was I who took her here and sent her back to Earth."

"It certainly is a strange place," I gasped, looking around me.

"I brought you here not only to fulful your desire to see this place, but also to ask for your help.   I have heard from Mei stories of your bravery and I am sure you will be able to help us."

Oh, no, not again, I thought to myself.  Not another "Mission Impossible", I hoped.

"You see, I had this beautiful gold harp with magical powers," Gervirah continued.  "It plays by itself and keeps everything here green and alive.  Unfortunately, a wicked black swan stole it from me.  I want you to take it back for us, otherwise everything will soon die and become a cold, wintry place like Winter."

"But where can I find this black swan?" I stammered.

"His name is "Malki" and he lives alone in Winter.  I have a magic carpet which will take you there.  All you have to do is to touch the harp and it will play.  The music will send him to sleep and you can then quickly take it back with you."

"He sounds a dangerous character.  Isn't there anyone here who can help you?"

Gervirah smiled.  "If there were, I wouldn't have asked you. We are all powerless against him.  Trust me.  No harm shall come to you.  Please, will you help me?"  she asked imploringly.

I was in a quandry.  I wanted to see "East of the Moon" and my wish had been granted.  There was no way out now.

(To be continued)




No comments:

Post a Comment