Thursday, October 19, 2023

The Godfather

Story told by Ning

I soon became a frequent visitor to Ms. Oh's house as she said that Shanti was always asking about me and wanted to play with me.  That little brat is really adorable and very smart, it is difficult to hoodwink her even for a second!

One day, we were all sitting in the living room - Ms. Oh, Shanti, Pearl and myself.  Shanti had jumped up to the sofa to sit beside me and was staring intently at me.  

Feeling uncomfortable, I said, "Hey, girl, what's on your mind?"

She continued to look at me, then said, "Mummy says you're a good cat."

I laughed.  "Oh!  Did she?"  I said.

"Yes, but it's a pity you're too old for me, otherwise I'd marry you!"

I almost choked.  "Er - you're right there," I said.  "Not only am I too old but you deserve someone  better - a prince who will sweep you off your feet and ride away with you into the sunset!"

"Oh, yes," she replied, eyes shining.  "I'd be living in a palace and dressed in silk with lots of jewelry and plenty of servants at my beck and call!"

"That's right, girl," I said, smiling.  Where did she learn all that from, I thought to myself.

She was silent for a moment, then she exclaimed excitedly, "If I can't marry you, then you can be my Godfather!"

"Whoa, whoa!" I said.  "I am flattered but I'm only a poor old cat, I have no money....."

"I don't care for money," she interrupted.  "I only want one thing from you."

"And what's that?" I asked, intrigued.

"Lots of hugs and kisses," she replied, looking earnestly at me with her big blue eyes.

Ms. Oh and Pearl started to giggle and I could feel my face becoming as red as a beetroot.

"Ahem," I said, clearing my throat.  "Really, why would you want to hug and kiss an old puss like me?"

"Because I know you have a heart of gold," she replied most innocently.  "Please say you will be my Godfather, yes?"

Suddenly I felt I needed some fresh air.  I jumped up, made some excuse and escaped into the garden.   All this talk about being a Godfather was stifling me.

"Shab, did you hear what your naughty kitty said inside?" I asked, standing under the tree where she and Larry lay.  "She wants me to be her Godfather! Sorry, Shab, but I think she has picked the wrong guy!"

Of course there was only silence from the tree.  After that, I decided to make a quick exit and go home.  

I didn't go back to Ms. Oh's house for the next few days.  All this Godfather talk really scared me, I've never been a father, let alone a Godfather to anyone - that kitty must be out of her mind!  I thought about it for some time, then decided to tell Da.

"But why not, Ning?" Da said.  "It sounds like she adores you and she can take care of you when you get really old."

"You must be kidding!" I said.  "You know me, Da, I'm a wanderer, a good-for-nothing, I can't take on any responsibility.  I want to be free without any burden on my shoulders!"

"I think you can do anything if you put your heart in it, Ning.  Why do you think it's a burden being a Godfather?  Shanti just wants your love.  Well, it's up to you, the little kitty will be very disappointed if you refuse her."

I left it at that but a few days later, I was shocked when Ms. Oh and Shanti appeared at the temple. I had just finished lunch with Da and we were talking over some soya bean milk.

"Ms. Oh! What are you doing here? And why have you brought Shanti?" I asked. 

Before she could answer, Shanti  ran up to me and hugged me.

"Uncle Ning!  Uncle Ning!  I missed you so much!" she cried.  She was bawling all over me and honestly, I had never felt so embarrassed.

"Ok, ok, take it easy," I said.  She finally stopped and asked, "Why haven't you come to visit me for so long?  Is it because you don't want to be my Godfather?"

"Er ... I have been busy, girl," I muttered.  

She looked hurt but didn't make any comment, then she turned to look at Da.

"Who is he, Uncle Ning?" she asked. 

"Him?  Oh he's....."  Then I don't know what made me say it but I did.  "He's Da, my....er....son!" and I put my arm round a startled Da. 

Da started to say something but I glared at him and told him to shut up.

"I meant to tell you sooner," I hurried on.  "I'm sorry, Shanti, I can't be your Godfather....I have a lot of responsibilities ...."

"It's alright, Uncle Ning," she interrupted. From the expression on her face, I knew she knew I was lying.  She then turned to Ms.Oh and said, "Let's go home. Goodbye, Uncle Ning.  Take care and if you change your mind, I shall be there waiting for you."

Ms.Oh who had been silently watching all that was going on, gave me a look which said "How could you do this to Shanti?" but said nothing, then both of them walked to her car and she drove off.

Phew, that was a close shave!  Da was waiting for me but before he could say anything, I scooted off.  "See you sometime!" I yelled.

Da will probably tell me off for deceiving Shanti when next we meet.  I know too that I have disappointed Shanti but I can't please everyone.  I must say she took my refusal in a very mature way for a kitty her age.  She's going to grow up to be a great leader with class and dignity.

I went back to my digs and stretched out.  Aah, this is the life!  Hello again to wild nights and freedom ... yay!





No comments:

Post a Comment