Tuesday, October 10, 2023

A Friend in Need - Pt.2

 Story told by Ning

Shab's death had left me quite depressed but in time I managed to get over it.  Da gave me a lot of emotional support, he's really a great cat monk, he has learnt such a lot from Head Nun and I hope he will achieve his goal of attaining Nirvana.

I decided to pay Ms.Oh a visit one morning as I wanted to see how Shanti (Shabina's kitten which Ms.Oh had adopted) was doing.  Ms.Oh and Lucy (Ms. Oh's other cat) were delighted to see me as I had not been to the house since Shab's death.  I had hoped to see  the old lady, Pearl too but Ms.Oh said she had gone for her doctor's appointment.

"She's a sweet little thing," said Ms.Oh when I asked about Shanti.  "She will spend every morning under the tree and talk to her mum and dad.  Goodness knows what they talk about but she will come in bright and happy.  I have watched her from the window and it's like they are having a real face to face conversation."

Just then Shanti ran in.  I was not surprised to see that she had inherited her mother's good looks, in fact she is the splitting image of Shabina! 

"You've got a visitor, sweetie," said Ms.Oh.

She turned her big blue eyes on me and said, "Yes, I know.  Mummy told me. That's why I came in."

I was rather startled when I heard that but before I could say anything, she said, "You must be Uncle Ning."

I looked in surprise at Ms.Oh who looked back at me, a little smile on her lips.  The last time I saw Shanti, she was a mere babe, she couldn't possibly remember who I am!

"Er .. how do you know my name?" I asked. 

"Mummy told me."

OMG.  I didn't know what to say.  Does Shab really talk to her?

Shanti looked curiously at me, then said, "Mummy said to tell you that she is very happy with Papa in Cat Heaven and that you should not worry or feel sad."

I was shocked.  "Did she.. did she really say that?" I stammered.

"Yes, and oh, she also said to tell you not to drink so much!"

Seeing the shocked look on my face, Ms.Oh said, "Shanti, why don't you go and play with Lucy.  Off you go ... see you later!"  The little kitty ran off and disappeared into the garden.

It was a few moments before I could speak.

"Ms.Oh," I said.  "I can't believe what Shanti said just now..."

"Well, you heard her. She and her mother were very close and it looks like the bond between them is still very strong, that's why they can communicate with each other."

"It's incredible! So you believe that Shab had been talking to her. I still find that hard to swallow! Does Shanti tell you everything she and Shab talk about?"

Ms Oh laughed.  "Not everything!  She's a clever one, she knows what to say and what not to say but I'm sure she's not making it all up.  The other day I was astounded when she said Shabina asked her to remind Pearl to take her heart medication and she (Shanti) actually quoted the name of the drug!  She's only a kitten, how could she possibly have known that if someone had not told her?"

Truly amazing.   Before leaving, I said I would like to visit the tree under which both Larry and Shab were buried.  I sat there in silence for a while and before I left, I said softly, "Shab, thanks for the message.  I'm so glad you and Larry are happy together.  You were and still are a wonderful friend and I shall miss you dearly - and oh, I can't promise you I won't touch another bottle of whiskey but everytime I look into my glass when I drink, I shall remember you!"

Just then a leaf fell from the tree, landed on my head, then fell to the ground.  At that moment, I suddenly realised that Shanti had been watching me all this time from behind a bush and probably heard all that I had said.

She ran up to me, pointed to the leaf and said, "Mummy just said "Goodbye" to you. And she said I should kiss you goodbye too."

She gave me a peck on the cheek, then ran back into the house.

I had a hard time fighting back my tears as I walked slowly home.


No comments:

Post a Comment