Monday, October 10, 2022

The Five Monks - Pt. 2


The recent rains over the past few weeks have kept everyone indoors and at night, it was very cool especially for the older nuns who had to wrap themselves up in warm clothing. Then yesterday the sun finally broke through and I was able to sit under my favourite meditation spot under the custard apple tree. I was enjoying my meditation when suddenly I had this strange compulsion to go to the tree outside Ah Hoe's hut where the five monks slept.  


Ah Hoe had gone away for a few days to visit a relative and so nobody was around the place.  A surprise was waiting for me when I got there.  Seated under the tree was .... the white cat!  Before I could speak, she said, "I'm glad you have come.  It was I who sent for you."

"I thought you had left with the monks.  Why have you called me here?  Who are you and what is your name?" I asked, bursting with questions.

 "You may call me Amrapali," she said.

I gasped,  "The Amrapali of "Amrapali and the Buddhist Monk?'"

She smiled, then said, "I see you have been reading my story.  I have taken this form so that we may communicate better cat-to-cat.  I hope you all realise how fortunate you were able to listen to Ananda that evening, an opportunity like that will not come again." 

I gasped again.  "You mean he was actually the Ananda, the Lord Buddha's faithful disciple like I thought he was?"

She nodded, then continued, "He and the other monks came on a special mission to bring the Dhamma to your village, so be grateful.  Now let's not waste time.  I have a mission for you."

It was the third time I gasped.  "For me?"

"Yes.  There is a poor lonely soul living at the edge of the forest whose heart is thirsting to hear the golden words of the Lord Buddha.  She has no one and is languishing day by day.  I have been instructed to send you to save her."  She waved her paw and I instantly saw a vision of the small hut where the woman is staying.  "Go to her and relieve her of her misery."

"That place ...they say there's a witch staying there!  I'm not going anywhere near a witch!" I protested.

Amrapali looked at me, disappointment in her eyes.   "Did I hear you right?  Is this how a true disciple of the Buddha should react?"

I fumbled for words but couldn't find any.  

"You speak of faith, of compassion, of love but you let what is merely a rumour scare you."

"But...but I'm not that knowledgeable...." I stammered. 

"The Lord Buddha will guide you.  I hope you won't disappoint Him," and with another wave of her paw, she vanished before my very eyes.  

I sat down, a little shaken.  I hoped it was all a dream, I pinched myself several times but nothing changed.  I was still sitting under the tree, not sleeping in my basket.  My next thought was to run back to the temple to tell Head Nun what had transpired, I really didn't think I was suitable for this "mission", perhaps she could send one of the senior nuns who know more than I do but before I could move, I heard a loud clap of thunder, a strong wind swept me off my feet and sent me spiralling into the air.  "Help, help!" I screamed.  Seconds later, I fell with a thud onto the ground.  I struggled up, looked around me and saw to my horror that I was right outside the small hut where the witch stayed!

I hadn't been to this part of the forest before and if I were to run away, I wouldn't know in which direction to go.  It looked like Amrapali had arranged everything, I had no choice but to pluck up courage and go into the hut even if it meant I may be turned into an ugly toad.

I knocked on the door and after a while, it slowly creaked open.  I saw a pair of eyes in the small opening peering at me, then a voice said, "Little cat, I'm sorry I don't have any food for you."

"I'm not asking for food," I quickly said.  "I'm here to offer you the "food" of the Lord Buddha."

I saw the eyes widen, then the voice said, "Really?"

I nodded, then the door swung open.  I stepped inside expecting to see a haggard, old lady with a crooked nose and broken yellow teeth.  But instead I saw a young girl about 15 or so (we cats aren't experts at telling how old humans are).  She gave me a cushion to sit on, said I may call her "Moon" and sat down on the floor beside me.

"Oh, it's a miracle," she kept repeating, clasping her hands together.  "I've prayed so hard for the day when someone would come and tell me about the Buddha and His teachings."

I introduced myself and asked what she would like to hear.  Looking at her innocent and shining face, I wondered how people could say she's a witch.

"Tell me about the Buddha's life story to begin with.  I would like to hear it again. You see, when I was a small girl, my pa and ma used to tell me stories about the Buddha and his disciples but when they both died in a road accident, I was adopted by my aunt who brought me here to stay.  She too died a few years ago.  The villagers nearby say she's a witch because of her eccentric ways and they naturally think I'm also a witch.  Nobody dares come near here now."

"Moon, how have you managed to survive all these years here on your own?" I asked.

She smiled and said, "I grow my own vegetables at the back of the hut.  Sometimes I receive packets of food left on my doorstep.  I don't know who has been bringing them but I have never been in want.  It is all the grace of the Lord Buddha, this I am sure."

She paused here and sighed.  "Oh, how I miss hearing the teachings! Please, Vege Cat, tell me all you know."

So I began ..... from Gautama Buddha's life story to His teachings .... I was amazed at the flow of words that came from my mouth.  I didn't even have to think.  It was like the Buddha Himself was talking through me.  By the time we finished, it was late evening.  

I said I had to leave and promised to be back soon.  She thanked me gratefully and gave me directions on how to get back to the temple.

On the way back, I ran into a few villagers.  I casually mentioned about the "witch" living at the edge of the forest just to see what they had to say.  (I of course did not tell them I had just visited her). They immediately recoiled in horror.  One of them said she has long white hair and blood shot eyes, another said she devours children as her food, yet another said she turns into a terrible monster on full moon days.  I wish I could have told them that their "witch" is a simple girl of 15 with a pure and untainted heart!  But they would never have believed me.

I told Head Nun the whole story when I got back and incredible though it might sound, Head Nun asked no questions and with her permission, I visited Moon again, carrying with me books which Head Nun gave.  On my fourth visit, I was surprised to find that she was not at home when I came.  The door was ajar and I presumed she must have gone out to do something.  I decided to wait for her.  It was then that I noticed a note on the cushion where I usually sit.  It was from Moon and it read:

"Dearest Vege Cat, the Lord Buddha came this morning and told me that He is taking me to Nirvana to stay with Him. Oh I'm so excited!  I've never been there before.  Thank you for everything, I shall miss you."

"I shall miss you too, Moon," I said softly as I left the hut.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment