Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Man of Miracles

When I showed Head Nun the photo of Sai Baba which Om had given me, she exclaimed, "Ah! That's the great teacher in India I was telling you about. He is like a living Buddha."


Unfortunately she could not tell me more but informed me that two ladies who come to the temple to pray every 1st and 15th of the Chinese lunar moon are his devotees and I should seek them out if I wanted to know more.


I waited impatiently for two weeks before the next 1st day of the Chinese lunar moon came around. After the temple prayers, Head Nun pointed out the two ladies to me. They were actually mother and daughter. They were very friendly and more than willing to share their experiences in India. They recalled many incidents of Sai Baba's miracles which they and other devotees experienced.


One story they told, and the one which I liked best, was that of a couple from the West. The wife was a devotee while the husband was a non-believer. He had gone with her to India to "test" Sai Baba and with him went along a box of liquor. Drinking is strictly forbidden in the ashram but nevertheless he still insisted on bringing the stuff with him, despite his wife's protests. When they sat for "darshan" (having sight of a holy person) the next day, Baba came close to the couple and said to the husband, "Cheers!" He was taken aback and when he returned to his room, he found that all his liquor had turned into water!


Wow! If this Sai Baba could turn something into water, he could definitely turn water into something ... quite logical, right? I wondered whether he would turn tap water into my favourite soya bean milk if I requested him to.


I was told that Sai Baba is omnipresent, omniscient and omnipotent - big words for me but I understood them when explained and was really impressed. The ladies told me that Baba knows everything, from our past lives to the thoughts we presently have in our mind. (I felt rather uncomfortable on hearing that .... sometimes an unrealised cat does have some naughty thoughts in its mind.) Oh, they also said no one could go to India to see him unless he himself willed it.


The ladies promised to tell me more on their next visit and left me with one of Baba's well known maxims: "Help Ever Hurt Never." I said I would certainly ponder over these very meaningful words.


That night, I was lying in my basket thinking over these words when I saw a light coming towards me. It came closer and closer and when I looked up, it was Sai Baba! He smiled at me, a very gentle smile and reached out to touch my head. As his hand touched me, I jumped up ...... and he disappeared. Instead I saw Head Nun standing in front of me, a quizzical look on her face. "Sorry I startled you, Vege Cat. What were you dreaming about? You had such a look of bliss and contentment on your face."


It was only a dream but it was so real. I wondered whether Sai Baba was calling me to come to India. I eagerly looked forward to my next story telling session with the two ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment